1. Default Cross Country Trip - where should I stop?

I am moving from South Florida to Las Vegas on May 26, 2007. I have planned to drive across the country to reach my destination and arrive on June 1, 2007. Time is my only constraint and I want to drive through the coolest places to see the most interesting things.

After reading many posts on RTA I have found that many travelers have specific interests and would not be interested in traveling through certain areas. My interests are vast and I am open to seeing anything worthwhile that will fit into my trip. I have no problem with traveling off a straight route to see something worthwhile.

I am in the early planning stages and would like suggestions for awesome routes, destinations, attractions, etc. All information is helpful!

Default Seven days -- how much stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by clax313 View Post
    I am moving from South Florida to Las Vegas on May 26, 2007.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I have planned to drive across the country to reach my destination and arrive on June 1, 2007. Time is my only constraint
    By the shortest possible route it would be ~ 2575 miles ( depending where in south Florida you are starting from). Moving can be both exciting and stressful and we never recommend that anyone drive more than 500 miles per day, so this journey would take at least five days (traveling ~ 10/hours per day)
    and I want to drive through the coolest places to see the most interesting things.
    Since you have an "extra" couple of days in your schedule, there are all sorts of cool and interesting things to stop and check out. From the point you hit the panhandle of Texas (if you drive I-40) you will be paralleling the old Route 66 with all sorts of "mother road" attractions -- what kinds of things do you find interesting?
    After reading many posts on RTA I have found that many travelers have specific interests and would not be interested in traveling through certain areas.
    Interesting perspective -- the roadtrippers who post on the Great American RoadTrip Forum have pretty broad interests -- I am at a loss to respond here.

Mark

Default Vast Interests?

I'm not sure what you are looking for. I tend to be kind of random in my interests and stop for all things automobile, knitting, history, natural formations, kitschy, etc. I'm also very susceptible to handwritten local advertisements. So what are your main interests?

Default My Short List

While I share your catholic tastes, it does make it hard to recommend things to do in the absence of any parameters other than "cool" or "interesting". Nonetheless, here is a short list of the places I've found most interesting along your route. Some are scenic, others historic, and then there's the odd oddity.

Cedar Keys (before you leave Florida behind)
    Old State House, Baton Rouge
    6th Floor Museum, Dallas
    Cadillac Ranch
    Salinas Pueblos
    Petroglyph National Monument
    Petrified Forest National Park
    Walnut Canyon National Monument
    Grand Canyon
    Hoover Dam

Most of these are essentially directly on your route with the exception of the Salinas Pueblos and the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon, while it isn't a large detour in terms of distance, does take a fair amount of time, at least half a day, to see and appreciate. Hope that helps.

AZBuck

5. Default Good feedback

Thanks for posting and I appreciate your asking for clarification.

I can agree that many people have broad interests.

To clarify, I am interested in historical and scenic sites. Things of cultural value that I may not see somewhere else.

Any more suggestions?

Default gettin outta fla

i have headed west to new mexico about 13 times from so florida...you'll then be heading north fromt here, another 12 or so hours.
    don't miss new mexico.

try los alamos national labs, museum and the famous 'black hole' where they have years of salvaged junk from the Nuke Labs...

-santa fe itself is worth spending a couple days in if you like brown, round adobe homes...and hot red chili powder!

the panhandle of texas has a terrific mini grand canyon called palo duro canyon, south of amarillo

every american should drive thru OK city in OK and see the damage and feel the memory at the nat'l memorial for the victims of the bombing...

i used to avoid texas and used 1-40 north..but have fallen deeply in love with wide, big texas and can't imagine crossing it north now...south is where the true grist of the place is...straight thru near 1-10..big bend, ft. stockton, van horn area...or get off interstate and take a good farm road north. every damn road in texas is a good one!

Default Been waiting for such an eloquent summation

Quote Originally Posted by afterbush View Post
    i used to avoid texas and used 1-40 north..but have fallen deeply in love with wide, big texas and can't imagine crossing it north now...south is where the true grist of the place is...straight thru near 1-10..big bend, ft. stockton, van horn area...or get off interstate and take a good farm road north. every damn road in texas is a good one!
    I too love crossing Texas (except during an ice storm). Here is my favorite site for finding those out-of-the-way places in Texas. Thanks for the description!

Mark