Default Show me the way to...........................

Firstly I am so pleased I have found this forum and thanks for your help in advance!

I am flting in with my wife and 2 children (17) & (12) next Tuesday and need some help on routes etc.

1. We are staying in Los Angeles for 4 nights then I am driving from LA to Las vegas. Q How long will this take? any dips on route/stop offs?

2. I am staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights then driving to Yosemite. Q This seams a difficult route because of possble snow. Again what directions etc. I have not planned an overnight so need to do it in a day.

3. Then only 2 nights in Yosemite, we travel to San Fransisco, looks like about 4 hours and not a bad route?

4. Finally, San fransisco to Monterey for an overnight before ending up in LA, this looks to be about 300 from Monterey.

Any tips would be appreciated. We are very excited about the trip and I would like to have a good idea of distances etc, especially with having a couple of kids with us.

Many thanks for any advise......................USA here we come!

Default Its all in front of you

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

All of the ground on your route has been covered extensively on this forum - to the tune of more than 1000 posts. Take a look around the forum, including the links provided in the Western Roadtrip thread listed as a sticky at the top of the Summer Roadtrips topic.

A quick answer to your questions though:
    1. LA to Vegas is roughly 5 hours via I-15.
    2. You did not say when you are traveling, but Tioga Pass through Yosemite will probably not be open until May, but an exact date is not known at this time.
    3. 4 hours might be a touch optimistic, but its an easy leg nonetheless.
    4. SF to LA via the Pacific Coast Highway is best done as a two day trip.

Default Several threads here

Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    1. We are staying in Los Angeles for 4 nights then I am driving from LA to Las vegas. Q How long will this take? any dips on route/stop offs?
    Like Michael suggested, it is about five hours, depending upon where you start from in LA. At Baker you could take the side road to Kelso -- excellent visitor's center at the old train depot there.
    2. I am staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights then driving to Yosemite. Q This seams a difficult route because of possble snow. Again what directions etc. I have not planned an overnight so need to do it in a day.
    It is possible to reach in one day -- but it will be a very long day as you will need to go around the southern edge of the Sierra Nevadas. Here are some threads that address the various routes. Plus, look at the bottom of the pages you look at (other than this one).

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-27-2007 at 06:01 PM.