Thread: Hearst Castle

Default Hearst Castle

I am back from my weekend trip to Hearst Castle.
    Leaving sat morning, we hiked to Sobranes canyon in Garapatta State Park. Reaching San Simeon early evening, we checked out the local beach.
    The 6.50 pm Hearst Castle tour was amazing.
    P.S: Outdoor Neptune pool is empty(they are currently fixing the leak). As AZBuck mentioned, it very crowded, though. Two hours just whipped by. My hopes for sunset pictures were dropped. It was foggy.
    I would strongly recommend reservation if anyone is planning to visit Hearst castle over the weekend.

We really enjoyed a morning walk along Moonstone beach drive in Cambria, the next day.
    There is a vista point just next to Piedras Blancas. A short trail takes you to beautiful beaches. We caught some bull elephant seals playing in the water. It is a nice place to watch without all that nearby crowd.
    Visited the Salmon creek falls, though not that much water as last year.
    There is this small gate to your left at one of those bends along hwy 1(between Lucia & Julia Pfeiffur). A small gate protects a fire road. It leads to a beautiful rocky beach. That was my first visit there, certainly not last.
    Wrapped the journey with a short hike to Sobranes point(top of the hill view) in Garapatta State Park to get an amazing view of the Pacific.

And yeah, Spring has come to hwy 1 too!

A lovely peaceful weekend! A welcome break.

cool

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Cool report.

First trip as a kid was to Hearst castle.
    The neptune pool really impressed us kids.

Default Partington Cove?

Quote Originally Posted by cool View Post
    There is this small gate to your left at one of those bends along hwy 1(between Lucia & Julia Pfeiffur). A small gate protects a fire road. It leads to a beautiful rocky beach. That was my first visit there, certainly not last.
    Was this adjacent to Partington Point? If so, did you see the tunnel? There is a 100+ foot long tunnel at Partington Cove that has been used by bootleggers, pirates, etc for years to hide contraband. From your description it is possible you were at this beach.

Thanks for the field report of Hearst Castle. Too bad about the lack of sunset photos.

Mark

Default It is! I think

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Was this adjacent to Partington Point? If so, did you see the tunnel? There is a 100+ foot long tunnel at Partington Cove that has been used by bootleggers, pirates, etc for years to hide contraband. From your description it is possible you were at this beach.

Mark
    I really don't know the name, Mark. The tunnel could've been 100 ft(yes, I crossed the tunnel). All I can think of about the tunnel is it probably has a lot of wood.
    That's a nice piece of info about the pirates. Coming to think of it, maybe that's the one. I'll probably google it. Thanks for that.

cool
    Last edited by cool; 03-26-2007 at 07:16 PM.