Default -- Yummy! Food for the Road --

What's good road trip food?

Other than the usual munchy snacks like granola, nuts, cookies, fruit and veggies, sandwiches, etc. what are other good, healthy, not too perishable foods to eat on a road trip?

We'll be on the trip for about a month and a half and we're trying to minimize eating out; we'd rather go to the supermarket every week or so to pick stuff up to make.

Any other suggestions on good food, snacks, or saving money on food are appreciated!!

Default We have an article (25+) on that!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamdaySunshine View Post
    Welcome go the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We have an entire department (a series of articles) that addresses that very topic. Here is fast overview of about healthy snacks and here is a directory to some more eating-well-on-the-road resources. Plus, you will find scores of tips on this Forum from roadtrippers who try and eat well on the road.

Mark

Default looking for other advice

Thank you for the resopnse to my question, but I already looked through those links you suggested, and didn't really find what I needed.

I'm looking for foods recomended by people who tried them on the road, food that can be stored dry or in a cooler.

Thanks for trying though :)

Default All have been field tested!

I'm looking for foods recomended by people who tried them on the road, food that can be stored dry or in a cooler.
    Um, are you sure you looked at those articles? Every single suggestion has been field-tested by us. We also carry MREs (enough to feed two people for four days) in all "Go Kits" Here is a list of recipes we have tested ourselves on the road. As you can see, some ARE dry but some are fresh.

There are several threads from other roadtrippers with their suggestions for snacks, here is one:
    Solo roadtripper's tips

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-25-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Default Not sure what you're looking for

Other than the usual munchy snacks like granola, nuts, cookies, fruit and veggies, sandwiches, etc. what are other good, healthy, not too perishable foods to eat on a road trip?
    Mark's links have lots of good ideas already. I'll try to add a few ideas to the list. I'm not sure that cookies are healthy, btw. LOL I do tend to focus on some of the things you've already mentioned like fruits, veggies, and nuts. I also rely on peanut butter, cans of tuna, cheese, sliced deli meats, instant flavored oatmeal, packets of dehydrated soup (like Lipton's Cup-a-Soup and/or the type of ramen noodles in their own styrofoam cup (just add hot water), and healthier types of crackers like Rye-Krisp because they pack easier than bread. Yeah, I know the cuppa soups and ramen in styrofoam aren't very healthy. But they're quick, easy, make virtually no mess, and hit the spot if I want something hot. Bagels and cream cheese are also items I'll commonly pick up along the way (I don't mind if my bagels aren't toasted). Oh, and protein bars. I also tend to watch for roadside stands with fresh local foods. Anyway, this gives me a lot of variety and most of it doesn't need to stay in the cooler so that's a plus.

Breakfast might be cheese and fruit, 1/2 a bagel/cream cheese and fruit, oatmeal and cheese, a protein bar, etc.

Lunch might be soup/crackers/cheese, tuna/crackers/fruit, a salad with cut-up sliced lunch meats and cheese added, a sandwich, a lettuce-leaf wrap sandwich, cheese on rye-krisp with fruit, etc.

Even though I take a small 1-burner stove with me on most trips, I rarely use it. But, if I'm in the mood and decide to cook a bit, I might make some kind of grilled sandwich (with the above-items there's LOTS of combinations to make, or stop and get a steak or de-boned chicken breasts for grilled meat with a salad (or the same with fish if there's good, local fish), etc.

There are LOTS of possibilities.

Oh, while ketchup and mustard pack easily and don't require being kept real cold to stay fine, mayonnaise is a bit more sensitive to heat. So I purchased a box of those little packets and just throw those in so I don't have to worry about the mayo going bad.

I don't know if this was what you were looking for or not. Hope it helps!

Default mmmmm, food

I like to pack some containers of things in the cooler that can be eaten alone or with bread, crackers, and vegetables. For example, I like hummus a lot because it's very nutritious, stays fresh for a long time and can be used as a spread or dip with veggie sticks. It's also great with pita bread, which is something else I like to take on road trips.

I also take things like chicken salad, tabbouleh, fresh salsa, 3-bean salad, pasta salad, etc. I make some of these things myself or just check the local deli or Trader Joes to see what they have that looks interesting. Most of those things can be eaten with a fork from the container or scooped into a pita for a quick, nutritious, "no-fuss" picnic. Containers of yogurt or yogurt based dips, stay fresh a long time and are very convenient, too. I also like some of the cheese spreads that come in plastic containers (like port-wine cheddar) or those little foil-wrapped, wedge-shaped cheese things by Laughing Cow.

Something like banana-nut bread is great for snacks or breakfast. I want to try those steam cakes from the link Mark posted if we start camping. That looked like good road food.

Default Oops...

I just wanted to add that for the chicken salad and pasta salad, I look for an oil and vinaigrette based recipe, instead of a mayonnaise base. You still need to keep them in a cooler but they aren't as perishable without the mayo.