Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to San Francisco 8 days - Suggestions welcome

Hi

My wife and I will be in Vegas from the 14th to 19th April.

After this I want to take a trip from Vegas to San Francisco over 8 days.

I was thinking, Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Deigo, Tijuana, Los Angeles, San Francisco. Would like to include either or both yosemite NP / redwood NP.

suggestions on cool things to do/see en route?
    is 8 days too short for the trip?
    Any car rental suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Lawrence

Default Lots of resources for your adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceV View Post
    After this I want to take a trip from Vegas to San Francisco over 8 days.
    Eight days will give you plenty of options - -Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum!
    I was thinking, Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Deigo, Tijuana, Los Angeles, San Francisco. Would like to include either or both yosemite NP / redwood NP.
    I think it would be helpful if you narrowed your focus/questions down a little bit. It is not likely that you could ever fit these locations into a single 8-day trip. Redwood National Park is up by Eureka, (near the Oregon Border) and since Tioga Pass is still closed, you will find it challenging to jump across the mountains at will. For starters, I would suggest you read some of these threads to help narrow your your focus some:

The second post of this thread about west coast trips
    Some more ideas on the zig-zag
    A similar adventure
    Some detail about Sequoia, Yosemite and Death Valley
    Day trips from Las Vegas
    Also, look at the bottom of this page for more ideas.

You can create a really amazing 8-day roadtrip -- and we look forward to helping you.

Mark

Default At the minimum

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

8 days would be about the minimum that you could to cover those places, but I think it could be done.

You could certainly hit Yosemite on your way from LA to SF, but that would probably mean you'd have to skip the coast, if that's what you had been planning. I think Redwood NP will simply be too far way to hit under this timeline.

Otherwise the forum is filled with suggestions for California area roadtrips. Browse around at other threads, including the ones suggested at the bottom of the page for more ideas.

4. Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I think I will give redwood NP a skip.

The linking posts have been really helpful.

Any advice/suggestions on a reputable car rental would be helpful, I had a look at expedia.com and they seem reasonable.

Cheers
    Lawrence

5. Default International drivers license

I have a South African drivers license, do I need an International Drivers License to rent a car for my roadtrip?

Thanks.

6. Default rental advice

Sorry, just firing off questions as I can rememeber them,

Would it be better to prebook the car rental or have a look around on the day that I need it?

Default I'd reserve

I would make a reservation for your rental car. You're more likely to get the kind of car you'd like and you'll probably find a better price with a reservation.

I'm not sure if an international drivers license would be required in your case. I'd check with the rental car companies when you are making a reservation. They should be able to tell you exactly what documents you may need.

8. Default Another Idea for You

If you'd rather take a more scenic route, you can consider driving the semi-circle in the other direction.

Head out to Zion National Park in Southwest Utah (about 2-3 hours from your starting point), and then perhaps on to Bryce Canyon. There's an amazing stretch of road that I myself will be traveling during the week of April 9th called Utah State Route 12. There's actually a wikipedia listing for it, it's been written about MANY times, and some call it the most scenic road in the United States. I'm sure the editor has probably been through there, and could tell you (and me) more about it. He's probably a little surprised to see me on here as it's been quite a while. (Howdy, Mark.)

Anyway, you could eventually hook up with I-15 and take it up to I-80 (a nice drive in its own right), and just west of Salt Lake City you'll be driving through the Bonneville Salt Flats (a real trip...salt as far as the eye can see...looks like snow.) After a long haul through Nevada (some interesting towns along the way...Elko and Winnemucca being the largest of them until Reno), you'll be treated to another nice drive through the Sierra Nevada, passing close to the Lake Tahoe area. You'll have MANY options on how to proceed through the mountains, and my best advice is to check weather and road conditions and take one of them across. I drove the Sonora Pass last summer, and it was pretty amazing.

Good hiking,

AB

9. Default

Thanks AB

Defn worth considering, I'll haul out the maps and have a look...

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Lunch or dinner at the Giant Artichoke in Castroville.
    Casual, reasonable priced, and one year it was Time Magazines restaurant of the year.