1. Default Skyline Drive into Blue Ridge Parkway

My wife and I are planing a road trip from the New York area to Sky Line Dr to Blue Ridge Pkway,and back in our Corvette July 4th week. Can anyone give us some feedback on places to see and where to stay. If anyone has any suggestions we would be happy to listen.

Thanks

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

That is one of our favorite areas to travel (we will be heading there again this Summer), and it sounds like you definitely have the right vehicle to make this trip.

One place I like to head into is the historic downtown of Staunton, VA. It's a nice walk around, and there are good places to eat and shop, too. It is also the birthplace of president Woodrow Wilson.

You also have Lexington, home to VMI, Roanoke, Luray Caverns, New Market Battlefield, Charlottesville, Montpelier, Natural Bridge...the list is long of what to see. US-11 is also a nice ride through some gorgeous country.

Are you planning on traveling the distance of both roads?

There are plenty of places to stay along this corridor, I don't think you'll have a problem no matter what your preferred type of lodging is.

3. Default

Yup, we hope to travel both roads and return another way

Default Distance

To travel both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive one-way, is about 575 miles. Figure on the average speed being somewhere around 35 mph on these roads, and that should give you a good estimate of how much time you want to spend on the roads each day, before finding a place to stay.

Here is a page with a recommended itinerary - it is South to North, however.

5. Default

Mass Tim,
    Thanks so much for the info I am sure that it is going to be real helpful on our adventure.