1. Default cali -> miami -> Va -> canada / the dream trip

Hi guys, just found this forum. figured i'd get some advice on the trip i'm planning.

First a lil backround on me:

i just got out the marines, and i'm a freelance web developer. as long as t-mobile has a signal, and my laptop works i can work from anywhere.

that said i've been trying to do a roadtrip for years, just always someone cancelling. so now i'm taking this beast of a trip.

i moved out my place and gave away all my furniture. making sure i force myself to go.

As of right now i have almost everything, i've spent about 1g+ making sure the cars good to go, new fluilds, brakes, rotors, etc. the things left for me are my gps, new tires, ipod adapter, power converter (1 cig, 1 standard), cooler, wireless chip for laptop, fix a flat, and birth cert.

i have so far
    jumper cables, jumper starter (the kind you charge), ipod, new phone (with wireless), jack, standard and 5000 pounder, tow lines, strapdowns, screwdrivers, rulers, put everything except what i'm taking in storage, tent, camp bag packed, emergency food, emergency phone (old phone, also t-mobile), and 3-5 people i'll contact each day with my lat and long for safety reasons.

That said would you guys price this as. right now i've only priced the first leg to miami. i cam up with 1900, is that crazy? i figure at each stop i can crash at a friends and work on building the funds for the next leg if i'm low.

any and all input is welcome, just wanta make sure i plan correctly. i wanta have at least two plans of attack, while at the same time just enjoying it, and taking things as they come. i have a honda accord, v-6 2002. i'm planning on using truck stops, couches, and hotels for sleep. and i'll have to at times stop for hours at a time to work via laptop.

if you know any good routes, have some input, areas to avoid.

also i'm black, and past experiences in texas (attempted drowning) have made me extremely wary of the south. so if you know any areas i should avoid i'd be thankful.

also if anybody want's to come along for a leg feel free to ask.

Default RoadTrips as Transformational Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by poetics5 View Post
    i just got out the marines, and i'm a freelance web developer. as long as t-mobile has a signal, and my laptop works i can work from anywhere.
    You are about to discover that, while T-mobile has some good network qualities, it has a much better PR/marketing rap than anything -- but nonetheless -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Thanks for your service to this country as a Marine as well!
    i moved out my place and gave away all my furniture. making sure i force myself to go.
    Good for you. In my case, that hard task was made easy by having it all burn up in a wildfire back in October, 1993.
    As of right now i have almost everything, i've spent about 1g+ making sure the cars good to go, new fluilds, brakes, rotors, etc. the things left for me are my gps, new tires, ipod adapter, power converter
    I think you probably meant -- an inverter?
    and birth cert.
    I would suggest you go ahead and get a passport!

i have so far jumper cables,
    Watch your electronics if you use jumper cables -- I won't let anyone near my chassis with traditional jumper cables unless there is no alternative!
    jumper starter (the kind you charge), ipod, new phone (with wireless), jack, standard and 5000 pounder, tow lines, strapdowns, screwdrivers, rulers, put everything except what i'm taking in storage, tent, camp bag packed, emergency food, emergency phone (old phone, also t-mobile), and 3-5 people i'll contact each day with my lat and long for safety reasons.
    3-5 people every day? That is quite a tether line! 1 person, a couple of times a week is about all I could stand.
    That said would you guys price this as. right now i've only priced the first leg to miami. i cam up with 1900, is that crazy? i figure at each stop i can crash at a friends and work on building the funds for the next leg if i'm low.
    An OK plan -- but impossible to comment upon without knowing how long this is going to take. There are lots of ideas and tools on this site for estimating cost. Look at the fuel cost calculator and this thread for some ideas. (Be sure to scroll down to Judy's excellent tips about budgeting parameters in that thread!) Also, look at these tips I wrote for Spring Breakers -- mostly an overview -- but still it might be helpful to you in your own planning.
    also i'm black, and past experiences in texas (attempted drowning) have made me extremely wary of the south. so if you know any areas i should avoid i'd be thankful.
    There are still too many jackasses in the world -- but generally folks are pretty the same -- as good people -- anywhere you go. As a former marine, I would bet you can take care of yourself in most situations. Expect the best and be ready to make evasive actions when required and you will be fine.

You are about to embark on a wondrous journey of discovery -- go out there and have a real adventure!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-24-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: changed the link