1. Default For the best views of The Grand canyon

Hi there

I have scanned all the exsisting threads and cannot see one that really answers my question?

In Early June, I will travelling from Las vegas to Kayenta to visit Monument Valley. My passenger has not seen The Grand Canyon before. Please let me know what route you think is best that time of the year for her to see some of it, without having to go to far out of my way.

Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Leanne

Default The best views?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsey8 View Post
    I have scanned all the existing threads... what route you think is best that time of the year for her to see some of it, without having to go to far out of my way.
    Leanne, Welcome back to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I am not sure how to respond to this query -- I have been going to the Grand for 40+ years and every time I find a new "best spot" -- a few years ago, I spent 32 days in the canyon and in some respects I would argue that is the only way to "see" the Grand. But given your parameters, here is what I would suggest:

I assume that you are traveling on US-93, past the Hoover Dam to Kingman? At Williams, I would turn north on AZ-64 and follow it to the Grand Canyon Village (south rim) and then follow AZ-64 onto the east where you will join US-89 at Cameron for your continued trip to Kayenta and Monument Valley.

Mark

Default An easy detour

I don't know what route you were planning on taking from LV to Kayenta, but MS Streets & Trips suggests US-93 to Kingman, I-40 to Flagstaff, then 89 and 160 to Kayenta. This is 405 miles.

To detour to see the GC, simply go north right before Flagstaff on 180, and then take 64 to meet up with 89 and then 160 to Kayenta. This is about 435 miles so it only adds about 30 miles to your trip. However, due to traffic, slower driving speeds through the park, and, of course, allowing time to get out and see the Canyon at the various overlooks, this will add several hours to your day. But it's worth it for all the lovely vistas you will have of the GC from various points along the way. It's a beautiful drive.

Default This would be a an over-shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    To detour to see the GC, simply go north right before Flagstaff on US-180,
    This route adds some unnecessary miles -- if Leanne missed the turn-off at Williams for AZ-64, this would be an OK alternative, but it really does take her out of her way... (This is a very pretty route if she wants to see Humphreys Peak and see some of of Flagstaff)

Mark

Default A Bit Off the (Over)Beaten Path

As just about everybody so far has told you, there is no "best spot", there are only many, many incredible spots, most stretched out along AZ-64/US-180, the South Rim Drive. There is, however, an exception. If you want to get away from most of the tour busses and have a slightly more intimate commune with the canyon, then get yourself to one of the parking areas near Bright Angel or Maswik Lodges and hike the Rim Trail west to Hermits Rest. The trail is about 8 miles long in total, but there is a shuttle bus service (but no other vehicular traffic) on a parallel road with bus stops about every mile or two allowing you to hike for a while or ride for a while as suits you.

AZBuck

Default Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    ...then get yourself to one of the parking areas near Bright Angel or Maswik Lodges and hike the Rim Trail west to Hermits Rest....
    I could use such a diversion about now -- thanks for the idea.

Mark

7. Default many thanks for your advice

You have really given me something to think about. i will go away and look at all these options.
    I am sure I will be back in touch very shortley to ask a few more questions.

many thanks
    leanne
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-24-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: white space formatting

In adition to location, time of day makes a difference. Try to get in at least one sunrise & sunset!