Default Seattle to Gainesville: Trailer Adventure!

So here's the deal:

In about two weeks I will be moving east to Florida in my Saab 9-3 convertible with a trailer attached.

I've already driven across the country four times along various routes, so I'm used to the normal road-trip concerns, but this will be my first time doing it in quite this manner...

Essentially, I'm looking for anyone who may have suggestions on what kind of route to take; preferably ones without too much change in elevation as we go over the continental divide. (Not worried about horsepower, just brakes. Viva la Downshifting.)

We're thinking of taking 5-7 days to get across, which should give us plenty of time to make some interesting stops; which will be a pleasant change from most of the other trips I've taken across... (i.e. Orlando to Santa Cruz only stopping once to sleep... clutching the wheel, squinting over the hood...)

So yeah, any ideas on cool stuff to see and how to get across without careening into some God-forsaken canyon would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Rob

Default What size trailer is that?

Quote Originally Posted by road tripper0323 View Post
    In about two weeks I will be moving east to Florida in my Saab 9-3 convertible with a trailer
    What size trailer can a Saab 9-3 pull? What is the allowable tongue weight on such a sedan? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- sounds like quite an adventure.
    Essentially, I'm looking for anyone who may have suggestions on what kind of route to take; preferably ones without too much change in elevation as we go over the continental divide.
    The route with the least elevation gain/loss would be I-5 to the I-10, but it is by no means the shortest route
    We're thinking of taking 5-7 days to get across, which should give us plenty of time to make some interesting stops;
    Five days would be the minimum you could make it pulling a trailer. The shortest route would be I-90 through Montana and then a rough diagonal across the USA to Florida. This would still require five days of 11 hours of driving every day to cover this distance under the legal speed limits. So, I don't know if you really have that much free time to wander and explore.
    which will be a pleasant change from most of the other trips I've taken across... (i.e. Orlando to Santa Cruz only stopping once to sleep... clutching the wheel, squinting over the hood...)
    Yeah, that sounds pretty nuts. I have done similar runs over the years, but I always had co-drivers and we slept in four hour rotations.

One easy diversion would be the badlands of South Dakota -- here is a field report about that area.

Mark

Not sure how much weight I can pull, but apparently Draw-Tite makes a Class II hitch for my car... not that I'm even considering pulling that much weight. My curb weight is about the same as the capacity of a class II, so I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, but it somehow seems less than prudent...

Really just getting a trailer for the bulky stuff... my guitar amp, a table, several duffel bags of clothes and the like; since the convertible has very limited cargo capacity... especially if I put the top down, which on a road trip is pretty much a requirement. Almost makes me miss my old 9000, if only for the cargo capacity... almost.

I will definitely check out the badlands link, I was also thinking of possibly heading down through Salt Lake and further south... maybe taking some secondary highway rather than an interstate.

5-7 days was really just an estimate, we're not on any kind of time requirement, so we can take as long as we want. I didn't factor in for the trailer slowing us down, though... good point.

Thanks again,

-Rob

South FL for now, but in June 2007 - the Pacific NW!

In about two weeks, I am making the reverse of this trip! I am going from south FL to Olympia. We will have to make sure and wave as we pass each other! lol

Default Welcome to the PNW, SouthernOracle!

You'll have to come up with a new handle. :-)

Default Try I 80

You might think about taking I5 down to Portland, then I84 through the gorge, and across Idaho to I80 in Utah. I80 has the least amount of elevation gain over the continental divide. I90, while more scenic and with more attractions, crosses three passes and winds around more than 84 and 80. The Blue Mts in NE Oregon are really the only passes this route crosses and are not very bad (or steep eastbound). Even though it looks like it should be longer and take longer, I can make much better time between Olympia and Chicago by this route than I90.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Quote Originally Posted by road tripper0323 View Post
    Not sure how much weight I can pull, but apparently Draw-Tite makes a Class II hitch for my car... not that I'm even considering pulling that much weight. My curb weight is about the same as the capacity of a class II, so I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, but it somehow seems less than prudent...

Really just getting a trailer for the bulky stuff... my guitar amp, a table, several duffel bags of clothes and the like; since the convertible has very limited cargo capacity... especially if I put the top down, which on a road trip is pretty much a requirement. Almost makes me miss my old 9000, if only for the cargo capacity... almost.

I will definitely check out the badlands link, I was also thinking of possibly heading down through Salt Lake and further south... maybe taking some secondary highway rather than an interstate.

5-7 days was really just an estimate, we're not on any kind of time requirement, so we can take as long as we want. I didn't factor in for the trailer slowing us down, though... good point.

Thanks again,

-Rob
    Your owners manual will tell you how much you can tow.
    The Draw Tight is a teriffic way to go.
    It not only equalizes the tongue weight to all the Saabs wheels, as an added feature it soaks up sway too, usually without the sway bar attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Driving Fool View Post
    You might think about taking I5 down to Portland, then I84 through the gorge, and across Idaho to I80 in Utah. I80 has the least amount of elevation gain over the continental divide.
    That's what I was thinking, but it was based mostly on guesswork. Very nice to have someone who knows tell me, rather than finding out halfway there. I've been over the passes on 90 several times, and they can be sketchy... (Lookout pass into Montana, I'm looking in your direction...)

Thank you, that's great information.

Oh, and Ross and Alice, I think I will go with the Draw-Tite, thanks for your info as well,

Take care,

-Rob
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-30-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fixed format