Default St Louis to California and Back

Hey All

First time poster.

My wife an I are doing a trip from St Louis down Route 66 to southern CA up to SF and back to St Louis through Nevada, CO and KS. We've done St Louis to Seattle and back and loved it. We normally try to get in 500-600 miles a day depending on side trips and back road trips. I want to see the Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, and the southern rim of the Grand Canyon. We expect that we will do this in about 11-12 days and stay to see a few people in nothern CA. We enjoy the road and sights that we've not seen before. I have traveled lots for my job, but never really see anything. We will never see everything, but if you have any must see's. I'd sure appreciate you input.

Nice to be here!

Mike

Default Looks good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum 5.7 View Post
    My wife an I are doing a trip from St Louis down Route 66 to southern CA up to SF and back to St Louis through Nevada, CO and KS.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We normally try to get in 500-600 miles a day depending on side trips and back road trips.
    Very reasonable and close to what we recommend around here.
    I have traveled lots for my job, but never really see anything.
    How does that work? So what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

Mark

3. Default Arizona suggestions

One or two ideas for Arizona -- Canyon de Chelly is almost a must - it is a bit off the main track but not too far if you have time.

Second, if you are done with Route 66 after you get this far west (keep in mind AZ has a great stretch of the old road between Seligman and Kingman (and on to Oatman), you might travel south down I-17 and visit Jerome. It is a quirky old mining town now artist-central that's good for an afternoon of exploring.

Then, go on over the mountain on 89A to Prescott, and follow old 89 south and down Yarnell Hill to US60 and continue to California and LA that way. This is the route the trucks used to take back in the 40s and 50s before I-40 was completed (Ash Fork to Prescott, then Yarnell and on to US60). It'll give you an idea about how rugged a job truck driving USED to be -- before it got easy. :)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-23-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added link to Bob's article about Rte. 66

Mark

What I'm looking for is the local places, not too much on the major attractions. Neat places to eat, scenic roads, small towns, historic locations, things like that. The net has some great ideas, but for the local flavors and the off the beaten path insights, your take and those on this forum would be appreciated. Thank you for your response.

Mike
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-23-2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: navigational format

Bob

Thanks for your response -- this is the kind of insight that I was hoping for. I work for a major household goods trucking company and would love to see the "old way" into CA. I've got that plotted on my map. Thanks you!!

Mike

Last year my fiancee and I drove Route 66 (well, as much as possible) from St. Louis to Flagstaff. One of my favorite places was the Rock Cafe in Stroud, OK. I also loved that Saturday afternoon when we got lost in Oklahoma whist searching for scraps of the original road.

If your wife was one of those girls (like me) who loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, her Rocky Ridge farm is in Mansfield, Missouri, which isn't too far from Route 66. We went and I was bouncing around like a big geek saying "I'm standing on her porch!!" "I saw Pa's fiddle!!" "I sat on her bench!!" etc. etc. etc.

I'm from Tucson, and went to college in Northern Arizona, and to be honest I've never really gotten what the big deal is about Meteor Crater. My son was dying to go in '05, so I finally took him. He looked at the crater for a few minutes then wanted to go to the gift shop. lol. In my opinion, the time is better spent driving 89A from Flagstaff, down Oak Creek Canyon, and visiting Sedona.

lol...I keep thinking of places to mention to you....the Catoosa Whale, those cement Totem poles, the rock shops in New Mexico, etc etc etc...but I'm sure you'll read about those in the guides.

Have a good trip!!!
    ~JoAnne

Default History Older Than the Mother Road

There are a lot of bits of history along the general track of old US-66 as you head west that considerably predate the Joads or even the designation of the route. Many of these can hardly be called "major attractions", but that's only because they don't draw the crowds they deserve. Just to name a few: Petroglyph National Monument, the Salinas Pueblo Missions, and Walnut Canyon National Monument. On the way back, Virginia City, Dinosaur National Monument, the old cavalry forts in Kansas, and while not quite so old, one site I really enjoyed was the Harry S Truman National Historic Site.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by da_redhead View Post
    Last year my fiancee and I drove Route 66 (well, as much as possible) from St. Louis to Flagstaff. One of my favorite places was the Rock Cafe in Stroud, OK. I also loved that Saturday afternoon when we got lost in Oklahoma whist searching for scraps of the original road.

If your wife was one of those girls (like me) who loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, her Rocky Ridge farm is in Mansfield, Missouri, which isn't too far from Route 66. We went and I was bouncing around like a big geek saying "I'm standing on her porch!!" "I saw Pa's fiddle!!" "I sat on her bench!!" etc. etc. etc.

I'm from Tucson, and went to college in Northern Arizona, and to be honest I've never really gotten what the big deal is about Meteor Crater. My son was dying to go in '05, so I finally took him. He looked at the crater for a few minutes then wanted to go to the gift shop. lol. In my opinion, the time is better spent driving 89A from Flagstaff, down Oak Creek Canyon, and visiting Sedona.

lol...I keep thinking of places to mention to you....the Catoosa Whale, those cement Totem poles, the rock shops in New Mexico, etc etc etc...but I'm sure you'll read about those in the guides.

Have a good trip!!!
    ~JoAnne

JoAnne

I'll have to check with my wife on that -- she is an avid reader. I'm kind of a rock hound, but I don't have a collection as such. I'm also into astronomy and watch everthing I can on the history channel or TLC. It's something that I've wated to see sicne I was a kid and if I don't get there this time, may never be able to later on. I don't have any guides, since that tends to be too much of a good thing for me. We have a few stops or side trips planned, but it is more about the experience -- the road trip -- rather than seeing everything possible. 89A will now be on my list though as that sounds like what I really enjoy. Thanks JoAnne!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    There are a lot of bits of history along the general track of old US-66 as you head west that considerably predate the Joads or even the designation of the route. Many of these can hardly be called "major attractions", but that's only because they don't draw the crowds they deserve. Just to name a few: Petroglyph National Monument, the Salinas Pueblo Missions, and Walnut Canyon National Monument. On the way back, Virginia City, Dinosaur National Monument, the old cavalry forts in Kansas, and while not quite so old, one site I really enjoyed was the Harry S Truman National Historic Site.

AZBuck
    Buck

Thank you so much for the links and the feedback. I've got those all linked on my "agenda".

Mike