Default Traveling Out West Itinerary - Tips? Feedback?

I've found great ideas and tips from this site - so figured I should post up my itinerary and get some feedback if anyone has some! I'm 23, female, going on a 2 month road trip this summer (but the 1st month is East Coast, family-member-to-family-member, so it's already set and not included here). The 2nd month is out west (I've never been out west) so I wanted to make sure my plans are reasonable and see if there's any advice on where to stay, specific routes to take, etc etc.

Here's the plan:

5 days --> Drive Boston, MA to Rapid City, SD (about 2000 miles)
    2 days --> see South Dakota (specifically Mt Rushmore, Badlands National Park)
    2 days --> Drive Rapid City, SD to Glacier National Park, MO (about 800 miles)
    2 days --> See Glacier National Park
    2 days --> Drive Glacier NP, MO to Cedar City, UT (about 1000 miles)
    4 days --> see Zion NP (day 1), Bruce Canyon NP (day 2), Capital Reef NP and Canyonlands NP (day 3), and Arches NP (day 4)
    2 days --> see Mesa Verde, CO
    1 day --> Drive to Grand Canyon, AZ (stop at 4 Corners Monument along the way - about 300 miles)
    3 days --> see Grand Canyon, AZ
    2 days --> see Sedona, AZ
    5/6 days --> Drive home to Virginia (about 2200 miles)

Total Days: 30/31

The number of days can't change, and I definitely want to see these places (plus hopefully some random ones along the way) but I haven't yet planned lodging, routes, or all the specifics of each destination.

I'm budgeting $35/day for food (mostly out of a cooler, some restaurants).

I'll be alone and won't feel comfortable camping, so I'm planning $65/night average for motels/cheap hotels/hostels.

I figure about 7,000 miles (x30mpg x$4per gal) for about $950 gas.

So?? Realistic?? I'm specifically looking at time-wise and $$-wise. The mileages are from mapquest, rounded up, and I do expect it to be a little more with detours and whatnot. Tips, opinions, suggestions - all would be appreciated! Thanks!

Default It's a Pleasure...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...to see such a well thought out trip. Your pace, budget and itinerary are all absolutely doable. I'm not sure that I have anything to offer to improve on it. Continue to poke around and use the Search function to see what others have planned for or experienced at your scheduled stops. And let us know where you might have a little un-used time and maybe we can offer some specific (if odd) suggestions. But really, you've got a great plan here.

AZBuck

Default Bravo!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It looks like you've done your homework and have been reading up on the forum!

This looks like an excellent trip plan. You've got plenty of time to get where you want to go, see what you want to see, and pay for it all within a reasonable budget.

As far as routes and the like go, you should have enough time to get off the beaten path and take some fun 2 lane roads if you so desire. For example, I'd try to work in a trip along the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Durango, CO as you make your way from Arches to Mesa Verde.

You might also enjoy reading up on our tips for Solo Roadtrips, as you get set for this very well thought out adventure!

*Whew* Thanks! Glad to hear I can stop worrying about timing and money and focus on things to see and do. I am definitely a planner, but I figure I'll never get to make this trip again, so I want to do it right.

I will definitely look into the Million Dollar Hwy, I know I've heard of it before. Other off-the-beaten-path suggestions would be great, especially for the trip from Boston to South Dakota and then from Arizana back to Virginia. I have basically no real plan for those two legs of the trip, I'm just figuring on a straight(ish) point-to-point drive so if there are some great places to see or quick(ish) detours/side roads to take in those general areas, that would be great to hear about.

Default Million Dollar Highway

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingDiva View Post
    *Whew* Thanks! Glad to hear I can stop worrying about timing and money
    You have probably already read this thread -- but a quick read might be helpful anyway -- it addresses solo roadtripping. I would also look at this article about roadtrip snacks.
    I will definitely look into the Million Dollar Hwy,
    Here is a field report I wrote about this highway and here are a couple of articles about the train ride -- one in summer and one in winter.

So many cool hotsprings in the Colorado area -- if you have time -- this is pretty hard to beat in the Steamboat Springs area!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-23-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo

Default Getting There (And Back)

OK - just a few of the better possibilities along the most direct routes between Boston and Rapid City on the way out would include Letchworth State Park, Niagara Falls (if you have a passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate bring them and see the falls from the Canadian side), Put-in-Bay in Lake Erie, Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI, the Historic Bluff Country Scenic Byway, andthe Corn Palace.

Between Sedona and Richmond on the way back: Petrified Forest National Park, Petroglyph National Monument, the Oklahoma City National Memorial, Mud Island in Memphis, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

AZBuck

I'm planning to spend a similar ammount of time on the road by myself, and so far my biggest challenge has been making up my mind about where I want to go. I'll be leaving from Boston, likely making a stop in New London, CT, and then... where? How does one even begin to plan something like this when the constraints are so limited as to allow nearly boundless freedom of choice? E.g. Glacier National Park sounds amazing and not-to-be-missed, but so does the home of Flannery O'Connor in Milledgeville, GA. I would appreciate any replies, whether the qualify as answers or not.

Default Do you really need a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Mantee View Post
    I'm planning to spend a similar amount of time on the road by myself, and so far my biggest challenge has been making up my mind about where I want to go.
    That sounds a little like heaven to me. One approach to roadtripping is drive and wander and meander until it is time to head home. So, welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- there are ~2000 pages of ideas and suggestions of places to go and events to attend herein. Go wander a while.

Mark

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    One approach to roadtripping is drive and wander and meander until it is time to head home. So, welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- there are Go wander a while.

Mark
    Yeah, we usually have a general trip outline, then we are "free Agents" as we travel so's not to feel pushed. Avoid the 'If it's Tuesday this must be Hinkley" feeling.

Your trip is indeed a good plan.
    Looks like fun.
    An overlooked spot by many travelers on your route are (is?) the Grand Canyon Caverns.

Be sure to check back in in route.
    if you don't have a laptop on the road the Southwest has Flying J gas stations/ travel stops that have cheapie internet kiosks, as well as the cheapest gas you may find.
    Avoid their food though. Oh brother.