1. Default FL to ME to Louisiana to MI

Greetings,

I've been lurking here for a while, this is my first post on this wonderful site.

I'm planning a road trip after this semester is finished up here in snowy Michigan (it's actually nice and warm today and the snow is melted, yay!). My intention is to take advantage of the Florida drive out rates provided by Hertz. I have a friend who lives in West Palm Beach, so I intend to fly there and grab the car.

From there I plan to drive mostly along the east coast to the northern terminus of US-1 in Maine then drive diagonally southwest towards Louisiana, drive around a bit on the Gulf coast then head back north to home in MI.

Points I've already decided to hit include the Natchez Trace Parkway, Smoky Mountain Natl Park, Cumberland Gap, those are the ones I can remember at the moment.

I have two questions regarding such a trip, the first is what types of scenic stops would others recommend me trying to see that are along this path.

The other is regarding the rental car. I normally drive a Saturn SL1, it's a small car, but does what it needs. My question is, Hertz has the Compact car, a Ford Focus (or similar) for $30 a week, and they have the Hyundai Accent (or similar) for $10 a week. Can anyone give me an idea of how the Hyundai compares to a Saturn vs. a Focus and if one would trust it to go 7,000 miles.

Cheers!

Default Not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
    I've been lurking here for a while, this is my first post on this wonderful site.
    We all like the thanks! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. Can I stow along?
    The other is regarding the rental car. I normally drive a Saturn SL1, it's a small car, but does what it needs. My question is, Hertz has the Compact car, a Ford Focus (or similar) for $30 a week, and they have the Hyundai Accent (or similar) for $10 a week. Can anyone give me an idea of how the Hyundai compares to a Saturn vs. a Focus and if one would trust it to go 7,000 miles.
    The car will go 7,000+ miles with no problem --- the question is -- can you travel 7000 miles in a compact car? Now, since you have a Satrun SL1, probably you can -- but if it were me, I would want more space and more horsepower.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the uber quick response. I've driven from MI to CA and back in my Saturn and it wasn't a big deal, that was 5,500 miles; I don't trust my car to go that far anymore, lol.

Another thing I'm watching is fuel economy, I'm betting the economy betwen a hyuandai and a focus is minimal, but if it's like 5mpg, that adds up over 7k miles. Fuel economy aside, the only difference in the rental between the two is about $50 with all the crazy airport fees and taxes. So the xtra $50 might be worth the extra comfort.

Default Settle In for a Great Trip

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your Saturn is classed as a 'Mid-sized' car while the Focus is a 'Small' car and the Hyundai is a 'Budget' car, so both are going to be a step down in size for you. Both are rated at 28 mpg, although your mileage will differ, of course. Overall the Ford gets better handling and interior room ratings, something to give serious thought to with as many miles as you'll be driving. With the rates as cheep as they are and there being no significant difference in mileage, I'd opt for the Ford. What you can do one weekend is visit your local Ford and Hyundai dealers and just view and/or sit in the two cars to see what your comfort level is in each.

As for places to see on the drive up the coast, I'd highly recommend Charleston, SC, the Outer Banks, Newport, RI, York and/or Ogunquit ME before you head inland, and a whole host of other places you probably don't have time for. On your drive down the Appalachians look into stops at the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, one or more Civil War Battlefields such as Gettysburg and Antietem, etc. How much time do you have for this adventure?

AZBuck

5. Default

Yeah I decided to go for the Focus for only the best in high class luxury. I have about 17 days to do this, I'm actually modifying the trip since going from FL to ME then back to LA then to MI seems redundant. I'll hit LA after FL then go up to ME, that way I can zig zag across the appalachains moving from the east coast to the other side, I think I'll manage to see more this way.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!