Default SLC to Portland and Seattle

Hi all.

My wife and I are planning a trip to The Pacific Northwest in June. We are roughly planning a 5 day adventure. Most of our time will be spent in and around Seattle but we will probably spend 1 night in Portland. Any suggetstions on what to do....as well as ways to get discounts on lodging and activities would be much appreciated. Thanks

Default 5 days in PNW? Or for the whole trip?

Welcome to the RTA forums!

If you're planning to spend 5 days in the Seattle/Portland areas, then you have time to see the highlights.

But, if the 5 days includes the travel time from SLC to Seattle/Portland and back again, I really don't see how you have time for all this. It's about 840 miles from SLC to Seattle. You should figure about 14 hours to drive this so you'll need at least 1.5 days for it, if not 2 days. Portland to SLC is about 770 miles. Another 1.5-2 day trip. This leaves one day to play in the PNW.

Why don't you clarify this first? If you have 5 days in Washington/Oregon, then we can explore that more. It would also be helpful if you would tell us what types of things you want to do/see while you're there. Outdoors? Museums? Cultural activities? It is easier to give advice if we know what you like to do.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 03-23-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added info

Well I knew it was far...but I guess I didn't realize exactly how long it would take us. The plan was to leave early on the 3rd of june and drive to Portland. Then the next day continue on to Seattle, hopefully have the 4th, 5th, 6th, and part of the 7th to spend in the Seattle Metro area. Then make our way back to SLC stopping in the Tri Cities, Ontario, or Boise to rest. I know it might be pushing it...but since we couldn't afford to fly and rent a car..this is our only option.

Default Could you? Should you? Up to you!

Could you make this trip? Yes. If you don't mind driving from dawn until dark and the fatigue you might have from so many hours on the road. Several of us have done marathon driving stints like this. When it's your only option, then you just need to find a way to make it work.

Should you do it? Only if you really want to see Portland and Seattle and are up to the challenge. And only you can answer that.

I've driven from WA State to New Mexico and back again in 7 days....and that is significantly farther than what you're talking about doing, and I had a great time doing it. But I was exhausted by the time I got home. I needed a day to lay around and do virtually nothing before I got back into the swing of things. Of course, folks younger than me might bounce back quicker.

It doesn't sound like you actually plan to spend any time in Portland. Are you just planning on spending the night there and continuing on, or did want to sightsee there? Portland is a lovely city. While Seattle gets most of the press, Portland is also a gem and worth exploring.

If you want hints on things to do, give me an idea of what you like. It makes it easier to make recommendations.

Default Do I sound confused?

Ya know, I just re-read both my posts and realized I'm giving you mixed messages. It's just that a lot of new road-trippers take off on trips with grand plans covering lots of miles and discover that they don't like driving so much and it turns them off to roadtrips. I wouldn't want that to happen to you. So, let me give you one last suggestion....

Unless you have some commitment in Portland or Seattle requiring you to actually get that far, this might be a trip where you can start off toward those cities but be open to changing your plans if the driving starts to be too much for you. If you find that Boise or Pendleton or The Columbia River Gorge (for examples) are far enough for you, stop there and enjoy the stops along the way and the things to see at that point before you return home. In my opinion, there are few trips more fun than one that allows you time to meander and travel at your whimsy with no set destination.

Hope this all makes sense and gives you food for thought.

Sadly I feel that this trip may not happen. I do want to make it to Seattle, not for any particular reason. I just have wanted to go for quite some time. I have that week off from school, and I have some vacation time to burn. I had planned to visit the various aviation related sites and take a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. I wanted to just hit all the usual spots. But I'm not so sure it will work out given the travel time and distance. Going to Boise doesn't interest me because I have seen it, and I wouldn't want to stop at Pendelton or the gorge, I would want to continue on to Portland. I feel like I am sounding defensive, but I think I'm just getting frustrated because I fear that we may have to "settle" for somewhere else.

Default SLC to Seattle and Back?

Quote Originally Posted by TW0716 View Post
    I do want to make it to Seattle, not for any particular reason. I just have wanted to go for quite some[ time.
    Sounds fine to me. Is there some reason you can't just speed run to Seattle, spend the days exploring and speed run back to home. I agree with Judy, you can not spend time in Portland or the interim places if you really want to spend 2-3 days in Seattle. But there is an incredible richness of stuff to do in the Seattle area.

Mark

Default Please don't be frustrated

I was just trying to show you options in case you didn't want to drive that far in such a short time. And to open you up to the idea of realizing that, if while on the road you find it's too much driving, that making spur-of-the-moment changes to your itinerary is not a bad thing but, rather, a freeing way of traveling. However, if you're up to the challenge, go for it. Like I said before, most of us here have done such speed runs. I'm sorry if I discouraged you. That was not my intent.