Default WA to NY and back again

I recently came across this site and I canít believe I hadnít found it sooner.
    I plan on driving from my home in WA state to visit family and friends in upstate NY. Iíll leave around April 22 and will take a week or less to get there. After spending about a week and a half visiting I plan on taking about a week and a half to two weeks to drive back.
    Like most people on this forum Iím interested in hearing ideas on routes and interesting places to visit.

But hereís the catch:
    This trip will mark the 12th time Iíve driven from the west coast to east coast and the 14th time Iíll have driven from the east coast to the west coast. Iíve never taken the same route twice. Iíve been across I-94, I-90, I-80, I-70, I-40 and even I-10 (I donít mind going a little out of my way). West of the Mississippi I prefer to drive on two lane highways during daylight hours. Iíve crossed the west on significant portions of US routes 2, 20, 6, 30, 40, 50 and numerous state highways. A year ago I drove east on US 212 from Montana to the Twin Cities and west on US 36 from Indianapolis to its end in Rocky Mt. NP. I usually stick to the freeways if I drive at night but these days I avoid driving at night if I can. Iíll even try to hit a section or two of gravel road in one direction or the other.

I guess what Iím looking for here is some ideas on scenic highways I havenít driven yet. (Iím thinking about US 212 from Billings to Yellowstone if its open.) Some suggestions of good little mainstreet cafes that serve hearty breakfasts and light dinners would be nice. I like to stop and take 3 to 5 mile day hikes when I can. There must be lots of those out there. I like the odd ball attractions as well. (Carhenge is one of my favorites.) One of my favorite ways to take a break from driving and get some exercise is to find a disc golf course and play a round of frisbee golf. Maybe there are some fellow disc golfers out there who can recommend a favorite course.

My tentative plan is to take a more southern route east (I-80) and a more northern route west (I-90).

Help me out here I can't possibly be running out of places to see in this great country of ours.

Default I like how you think!

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I certainly appreciate looking to avoid taking the same route twice.

For your route back, I would suggest taking US-14 west of Chicago. It runs roughly parallell to I-90 all the way out to Yellowstone.

This trip through South Dakota followed much of 14, and would give you an idea of what you would expect with that option.

Default Peru, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by The Driving Fool View Post
    I recently came across this site and I canít believe I hadnít found it sooner.
    Yes, this site does seem like a good match for you!
    I like the odd ball attractions as well.
    How many shoetrees have you visited thus far?
    Maybe there are some fellow disc golfers out there who can recommend a favorite course.
    One of the most scenic and challenging after the trees start to leaf out in the Spring is located adjacent to the Honey Bear Hollow Campgrounds RV Park near Peru, Indian on West 200 N.

Mark

Default Welcome, Neighbor!

I don't really have advice for you. But I wanted to say hello to my neighbor out here on the Olympic Peninsula.

Gosh, you've done a lot of great trips. I hope you hang out here with us. I'll bet you have a lot of good advice that you can give others from your experiences on the road.

Default Thanks for the tips

14 sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about 12 but I think 14 sounds better.

Shoe trees, now that's a new one.

Peru Indiana is now marked as a future golf stop.

Tom