1. Default Better to rent or drive my own car?

I have a 1999 Honda Accord with 80K miles running good and was planning on driving from Chicago to Los Angeles staying a month and then driving back to Chicago (about 4000 miles total). Can anybody suggest whether it is better for me to rent a car for $700 or to drive my own car and run up the mileage?

Default A judgment call for you

Quote Originally Posted by pod4life View Post
    I have a 1999 Honda Accord with 80K miles running good and was planning on driving from Chicago to Los Angeles staying a month and then driving back to Chicago (about 4000 miles total). Can anybody suggest whether it is better for me to rent a car for $700 or to drive my own car and run up the mileage?
    If it were me I would rent a car and not put those 4000 miles on one of my rides. But the rental cost will certainly cost more than the wear and tear in the short-run on your vehicle.

Mark

Default Cities

I would say that if I were to spend any time driving around in a large city, I'd rather take the rental as well - that way if anything does happen to the car (and you DO take the insurance, yes?), it won't be your car that is out of commission.

Mileage-wise, it's not such a big deal. Cars are made to be driven, after all.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

If you rent with say American Express CC, they have rental insurance included when ya use their card.
    Correct me if this has changed.

I have known some who have had to use the American Express insurance and they all say it isn't easy.
    Ya really have to bird dog the company to cough up and pay the bills.

We have AAA auto insurance, and in our policy, we're covered as well in rent a cars.
    This may vary from company to company, and perhaps even policy to policy.

Default Take your pick

Any insurance with your credit card is going to depend on your individual policy. You need to check with them directly to see what they cover or don't cover.

As far as renting vs. buying for this specific trip, I do have a question. What are you planning to do with the car for the month you will be in Chicago? Chicago isn't the easiest or cheapest place to park, but it has excellent mass transit.

Because of that, you might be even better off with 2 one way rentals, where you turn in the car for the month you don't need it. Since you will be driving the car back to CA, you might even be able to get the drop fees waived.

6. Default

Thanks for all your replies! Actually I am from Chicago and am driving to LA to do a rotation at a hospital so I will actually be using my car everyday when I am in LA for the month. I'm still divided on renting or just driving my own car. My current insurance does cover a rental car. I am leaning more towards renting, but then again that $700 goes a long way when it comes to being on student loans. I guess the only thing that is holding me back from driving my own car is that I am worried of future maintence issues related to putting so many miles on my car or my car just dying during the middle of the trip. I forgot to mention that I am also planning to do the same trip in Jan 2008 for another 1 month rotation. 8000 miles of driving...

Default Contrarian here!

I disagree. I'd take my own car. But, then again, I love driving my car. It makes a road trip much more fun than I have driving other cars. If your car isn't road-worthy and needs repairs/maintenance to make it road-worthy, is it worth it to put that money into your own car or towards a rental? To me, it would be worth it to put that money into your own car. Why? Because if it's not in good enough shape for a road trip, than it's probably not in good enough shape to drive across town for groceries. 8000 miles is a drop in the pocket for a car. Unless you have a lemon or a car that has been neglected, most cars can easily go 200,000+ miles these days without major problems. So I really think the mileage is not a big deal over the life of a car.

Yes, if you did have a major mechanical problem on the road in your own car, you're stuck until you get it fixed. With a rental, you can just get another rental car as a replacement and go on your way. That would be the one advantage to renting. But if you spend the money to make sure your own car is up to the trip, the odds of this are minimal. So, again, I'd rather drive my own car and just have a AAA membership to help me out should something happen to my car.

I don't think either choice is right or wrong, it's just personal preference. So the choice is your's. Either way, the main thing is that you enjoy the journey.

ETA: I drive a 1999 vehicle with almost 130k on it and I'm taking it from Washington state to Chicago and then down Route 66 this summer. It runs great but I am taking it in soon for a major tune-up and thorough inspection to make sure that it's ready for the trip and that any potential issues are identified and fixed before I leave. But I have no hesitation in taking my car on this trip. It has served me well in the past.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 03-23-2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added info

Default I'd take my own too

Considering your situation, I'd also take my own car.

In all honesty, the miles coast to coast really should worry you that much. The month you spend dealing with LA traffic will almost certainly be more stressful on your engine than the highway miles you put on while driving cross country.

If it was just a quick trip out and back, I might consider renting just to save the maintenance costs that go along with putting on miles, but I personally wouldn't pay the rental fees for a full month. Even if you do have a mechanical problem during your trip, $700 usually goes a long long way towards fixing that problem, and then you would have invested the money into something that would probably be a problem later down the line anyway.