1. Default San Diego to Grand Canyon

I am taking a road trip next week from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. I was wondering if there are any better route then taking interstate 8 and/or if there are any roadside attractions..

Thanks for the help!!!!

<Kate M>

Also: I havent been to the grand canyon in 10 years ( i am 22 years old now, so i was really young)... I am going to be camping at Mather Campground but are there any good hikes or placed in the park?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-22-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

Default A Road Less Travelled

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Hmmmmm... I assume by 'Interstate 8' you mean I-8 to Gila Bend, AZ-85 north and I-10 east into Phoenix, I-17 north to Flagstaff, and finally US-180 into the Grand Canyon. Well yes, there are 'better' routes. A shorter Interstate route it just take I-15 north to I-40 east to Flagstaff. That cuts about 20 miles off the drive. But actually, there is a route that is shorter and far more interesting than either of those. You would start out on I-8 east across the Santa Ana Mountains to El Centro, take CA-111 north and CA-78 east through the Imperial Valley, around the southern flank of the Chocolate Mountains and up the Colorado River Valley. At Blythe, get on I-10 east for a short jog over to US-60 east to Wickenburg where you take US-93 north for just a bit to US-89 and AZ-89A north through Prescott, Jerome, Sedona and Oak Creek Valley to Flagstaff. Here's a post with some links to a few of the attractions in the Prescott/Jerome/Flagstaff area.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-22-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Corrections to Directions

Default "The Most Boring Highway in America" or not

Quote Originally Posted by kmolfino View Post
    I was wondering if there are any better route then taking interstate 8 and/or if there are any roadside attractions..
    You might well be surprised -- but we published a feature article about Interstate-8. You can read it here.

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Take the 66

For a trip back in time, take Route 66. There are lots of old time stuff to see.

This past spring, we stayed in Williams and enjoyed that town aftertouring the Grand Canyon.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Default Great place for hiking

Quote Originally Posted by kmolfino View Post
    I am going to be camping at Mather Campground but are there any good hikes or placed in the park?
    There are TONS of hiking opportunities both down into the canyon and in the area surrounding it. Unfortunately, I've only read about them because my own trip to the Grand Canyon was a whistle-stop that didn't allow time for hiking. But there are dozens of books written about the hiking opportunities there as well as dozens of websites. A google should give you tons of ideas. But there are precautions you should take while hiking there. Heat can be a killer so be sure you pack a lot of water. Grand Canyon Hiker is a good website with lots of route information, tips on where to go, how to hike safely, etc. It would be worth your time to check it out.

6. Default Nice place for hiking, but always up to get out..

There's a rim trail that goes along the edge of the Canyon (well some yards back from the edge) that you can take for about 5-6 miles from near Mather and the Visitors Center near Grand Canyon Village. There's a shuttle bus that also parallels this trail. I think you can take this the other way for some miles, but you'll be walking along the road to follow the rim. What's nice about this is there are some turnout loops towards the canyon (at least on the eastern side from the GC Village) that you can only get to by foot, or on the shuttle bus.

There are several trailheads that you can take a shorter day hike down towards the floor of the canyon as well. I did a mile or so down the South Kabib trail to Cedar Ridge, and took some pictures, and headed back. A couple notes on this though -- Carry lots of water (there's no water on any of the trails unless you get reallllyy lucky). Uphill hikers and the mule trains have right of way. Figure it's going to take 3x as much time to come back uphill than it did going down. Even in the mile or so we went, we dropped about 1000 feet of elevation, which meant that the the 30 minutes or so down the trail took 90 minutes to get back up... And be prepared for no shade -- hats, sunscreen, and etc. Be smart, and don't hike stupid like some of the folks we found (The lady flip-flopping down the trail, the guys who went farther than we did and were stuggling back up the trail with no water and no gear and were now over an hour late to catch their ride.... etc.)

Here's a link.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-23-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Preferred Link Format