Thread: Ontario to BC

1. Default Ontario to BC

This summer, a few friends and I are planning to go on a roadtrip from Ontario to BC. We're planning on taking the trans-canada highway, and were wondering what kinds of neat places there are to stop along the way. I've tried looking it up through google, but with no luck. We'll probably take 2-3 weeks to do this. We're looking for places that will cost little or no money, and places that aren't really really touristy, because we already know a few touristy spots we would like to visit. If anybody has any ideas, please share them!
    Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Just wanted to say "Howdy"

Quote Originally Posted by peach0816 View Post
    This summer, a few friends and I are planning to go on a roadtrip from Ontario to BC.
    I have only driven on about 800 kms of the TransCanada Highway, so I am afraid I can't help much -- but wanted to say Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and I expect you will hear from some of the other regulars soon.

The only sections I have driven have been in BC and a tiny portion of AB. A notable detour would be to go to Fairmont Hot Springs... Beyond the developed areas, are some really nifty back-woods hotsprings.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Comments

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One is just an observation, and the other is a recommendation of sorts. The comment is simply this. As you drive the Trans-Canada in Ontario from Nipigon to Thunder Bay and in the area around Kenora, keep in mind that the second largest country in the world is connected in these places by a single strand of two-lane blacktop. ALL road traffic between the eastern and western portions of your wonderful country MUST go over the same piece of road you're now on.

The recommendation is this. At Medicine Hat, AB you'll have to make a choice as to whether to follow the main Trans-Canada route up to Calgary and across the Rockies through a series of scenic national parks such as Banff, Yoho, and Glacier. A lovely route, and certainly the location of some great low cost hiking opportunities. But for my money (and I've gone both ways) the more interesting - I can hardly say more scenic - route is to stay south and take AB-3 and BC-3 through Crowsnest Pass. This is a more meandering path and goes through some very lovely small towns, including Nelson, BC which was the location used for the movie Roxanne with Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah.

Oh, and I don't know if you're aware of it or not, or even if it's still the case. But one of the things I loved about travelling long distances on the Trans-Canada on a low to non-existent budget was the presence in many towns of what are marked as 'transient camps'. Typically these would be local town parks where you could pull in and sleep in your car without being hassled. If you were still there at 7 or 8 in the morning, they might come by and ask for a donation of a few bucks, but they are certainly worth keeping an eye out for.

Have a Tim Hortons for me.

4. Default Google?

I'm not sure how you searched -- but I googled "transcanada highway" and came up with a wealth of information about this route.

Try for starters.

I doubt you'll find too many on this forum who have driven it (if past posts are any indication) -- so be sure to come back and tell us about what you found when you drive it. I, for one, would give an arm to drive this route. Canada is magnificent -- one end to the other.

LOL.....I'm doing just the opposite: BC to Ontario and back......Good times
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-22-2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Removed short-line formatting

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default What happened to the southern trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    BC to Ontario and back......Good times
    Hey, what happened to the plan to go to the south this trip?

Having grown up in Ontario and not been back in 25 years, I thought if I don't go this year I likely never would...

Then again, I've been flip flopping over this vacation plan for weeks now. But at least right now, I'm thinking maybe I ought to see some of my own country...

I definitely still want to travel America though!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-22-2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: removed short-line formatting