1. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas - Honeymoon Trip

Hello all,
    New to this so hope I'm doing it right. As part of our honeymoon starting on the 6th August 2007 my husband and I will be flying from London to Los Angeles then onto San Francisco then onto Las Vegas and then ending up in New York. We wanted to hire a car and drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas staying in a hotel half way between the two so we can take our time and really see the sights. Can you tell me will we travelling on the famous Route 66 Pacific Highway and where is half way?? Apologies for my ignorance having only been to Florida we want to get this trip right and fit in as much as we can of our chosen destinations.

Many thanks in advance.

Samantha.

Default Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
    As part of our honeymoon starting on the 6th August 2007 my husband and I will be flying from London to Los Angeles then onto San Francisco then onto Las Vegas
    Welcome to America and to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We wanted to hire a car and drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas staying in a hotel half way between the two so we can take our time and really see the sights.
    Driving between San Francisco and Las Vegas is a very popular subject here. There are several hundred posts on this route. If you look at the second post in this thread --you can start your reading on this trip.
    Can you tell me will we travelling on the famous Route 66 Pacific Highway and where is half way??
    Route 66 is a historic highway that ran from Chicago to Los Angeles, but it never connected to either Las Vegas or San Francisco. The Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) does run down the coast or you could go east over the Sierra Nevada mountains and see Yosemite. Which would you prefer to do?

Be sure to look at the bottom of this page for more ideas.

Mark

Default The Basics

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Historic Route 66 is a decommissioned highway that traveled from Chicago to Santa Monica. It came to an end at the pacific ocean, but it did not travel along it at any point.

California Route 1 is known as the Pacific Coast Highway and is a wonderfully scenic route that takes you directly along the coast.

Bakersfield would be about half way on a direct route from SF to Vegas, but the direct route does not include either the Coastal Highway or Yosemite Park and Death Valley, another very popular option.

Browse around the forum and learn more about this area. There are hundreds of threads on this area, including more than a dozen started this week alone. Take a look at what you'll be seeing, and we'll be in a much better position to help you with some specifics.

4. Default Brilliant advice but still a little confused!!

Thank you both for your replies. I have read so many threads now that I am getting a little confused.

If we start out at SF and we want to take in Yosemite and Death Valley, which one do we come to first and is it best to do both in the one day or split them on our way to Vegas. We only want to travel for the two days and arrive in Vegas early evening.

Are there any good hotels at Yosemite or Death Valley that you could recommend??

Thank you very much!

Sam

Default Simpler Version (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
    If we start out at SF and we want to take in Yosemite and Death Valley... We only want to travel for the two days and arrive in Vegas early evening.
    This is one way to do that:

Take I-80 to Sacramento and then proceed east on CA-16 to CA-49. CA-49 is known as the Gold Rush Trail and you can follow that through the scenic front range to CA-120 which takes you into Yosemite Valley. Drive to Glacier Point, (scroll to the end of this thread for a gorgeous photo of Glacier Point) and explore as much of Yosemite as you have time for and then return to CA-120 and follow it eastward over Tioga Pass (make sure you do this in daylight!). Stay overnight in either Mammoth Lakes or Bishop.

Next day follow US-395 to Lone Pine and then follow CA-139 to the southeast over to CA-190 and follow that over the two passes into Death Valley. Spend 3-4 hours in Death Valley (it is going to be hot!!!!) and then continue east on CA-190 to Death Valley Junction and then follow State Line Road (the name changes to Ash Meadows Road & then to Bell Vista Avenue but you won't hardly notice) over to NV-160 whereupon you will travel south through Pahrump, NV and staying on NV-160 right to Las Vegas.

This will enable you to see parts of these magnificent parks and still reach Las Vegas the next night.

Mark

6. Default Simple...

Sammy --

The simplest way to think about this is..

1) day 1 -- from SF To Yosemite. You have the option of going down CA-49 through the old Gold-Rush areas, or cutting across the state (and California's large, flat central valley) straight to Yosemite. Either way works, but plan on at least a half day to get from SF to Yosemite.

2) day 2 -- if you're traveling in August, Tioga Pass road (CA-120) will be open (it's closed until late spring due to snow packs in the Sierras). This is a scenic road that goes east from near Yosemite, up and over the Sierras (10,000+' tall mountains) to the east side of California. It's suggested -- scenic, and the most direct route. Like most California State Highways (CA-49, CA-120), it is at a minimum a 2 lane, paved road of good quality. If you push it you can make it to Death Valley that evening, but its better to stay in one of the small-to-middle sized towns on the east side of the Sierras along US highway 395 (US-395). These include Mammoth (which is a large ski resort during the winter), Bishop or Lone Pine.

If you want to continue to Las Vegas on the same day as you leave Yosemite, you're talking around 7-8 hours to get to the middle of Death Valley, and then another 2-3 hours to Las Vegas once you depart. That will be a LONG driving day and I would encourage an early start of this day, and plan on a long day. You will only have time to drive through Death Valley without a lot of sightseeing, and the temperature in August in Death Valley will be VERY hot.

7. Default Thank you!!

Thank you to both of you - great advice and so quick!!

Regards Sam.