1. Default Northern California (Chico) to The Grand Canyon!

Hi there! I am so happy to have found this site, so many people have posted such great questions and information I hope you can help me to.

I am a single mom, planning a 6-7 day road trip to The Grand Canyon with my 9 year old son in late July or early August.

While I have some trepidation about just the two of us traveling alone, I think I am ready to tackle the adventure. I've Mapquested the route and it all seems pretty straight forward but I am looking for some good touristy things to do along the way and great little places to stop and see, fun out of the way places to eat or cool souvenir shops!

I welcome any and all information, advice and tips you may have!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Grand Canyon Railroad

Quote Originally Posted by tinabrady View Post
    I think I am ready to tackle the adventure.
    Good for you and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I've Mapquested the route
    First, I would suggest you also run the route with either the AAA or Yahoo trip planner as both provide some useful information. (Here is some RTA-rated information about both).

I would certainly suggest swinging by Virginia City (near Carson City, NV) -- lots of western-garbed characters wandering around and then drive US-395 down the eastern slope of the Sierras -- before cutting eastward through Death Valley and through Las Vegas. Hoover Dam is a great stop and the Grand Canyon railroad at Williams is a real treat.

From the south rim of the Grand you could go home by way of US-89 and swing by Bryce and zig-zag up to US-50 & Ely before heading home.