Default West Coast - East Coast

G'day from sunny Australia!

My husband and i are about half way through saving for the trip of our life-time. We are intending on travelling from LA - NY, hopefully next June, taking about 1 1/2 - 2 months to do this trip.

Many questions will be asked on this forum from me, but the first major one i have is regarding 'HOW'!! Since we are from Aussie Land (and don't really know the first thing about costs in America!), i would like your opinion on whether we should rent a car/camper, or buy a car/camper.

Is there a particular site someone can suggest where people who have done road trips buy/sell their vehicles?? Or is it a matter of getting hassled by car salesmen when we land in Los Angeles?!! He, he! I am leaning more towards buying a vehicle due to the time we will be travelling (and the cost of a one-way rental), but i'm also a little shy of spending the first 3 weeks of our holiday looking for a car, insuring it, finding gear to set it up (GPS system, cooking/tenting facilities, etc) and all the other things i'm sure i've missed - or don't know about!

A quick run down of our itinerary involves: LA-Grand Canyon, then up to Yellowstone. Back down to the middle and across to Memphis/Nashville TN (the whole reason for the trip really!!!) Spend a couple weeks here - Country Music, Dollywood, Jack Daniels Distillery, Country Music, Smokey Mts, & did i mention . . . Country Music?!! Then start heading up the coast to NY. That's it in a nut shell!

Anyhow, your help would be much appreciated, and i look forward to your answers!

Cheers
    Lyn

Default Adventures on Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by living simple View Post
    We are intending on travelling from LA - NY, hopefully next June,
    Welcome back to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    i would like your opinion on whether we should rent a car/camper, or buy a car/camper.
    There are lots of opinions about this issue on this Forum -- In my view, it really doesn't make much sense to purchase a car unless you are really good at such transactions.
    Is there a particular site someone can suggest where people who have done road trips buy/sell their vehicles??
    There are firms that will sell vehicles to visitors with the guarantee to re-purchase when you are finished with it. One of these firms is Adventures on Wheels
    A quick run down of our itinerary involves: LA-Grand Canyon, then up to Yellowstone. Back down to the middle and across to Memphis/Nashville TN (the whole reason for the trip really!!!) Spend a couple weeks here - Country Music, Dollywood, Jack Daniels Distillery, Country Music, Smokey Mts, & did i mention . . . Country Music?!! Then start heading up the coast to NY. That's it in a nut shell!
    Sounds like a great trip.

There is still some great information from your original threads here.

Mark