1. Default Advice and Ideas for CA/NV/AZ Trip

Hi from cold miserable UK.

Found the site by accident and really pleased I did. My wife and I have to be in LA in August for a family wedding and plan to spend last week July and first week August touring.

We will pick up a car at LAX and need to do a round trip of 14 nights before we get back for the celebrations. BUT I don't know where to start and would appreciate any advice. We want to take in Las Vegas for a couple of nights of shows and want to incorporate the Grand Canyon and Bryce. Other than that we are just looking for an interesting, stimulating scenic trip to get a good flavour of the country. Based on European tours we have made we are very comfortable with average driving of 150 to 200 miles per day with perhaps a couple of days off in the middle.

If anyone could suggest a route I'd be happy to reciprocate for anyone visiting this side of the pond.

Thanks a million.

Default It is a balmy 90+ degree (F) day here today!

Quote Originally Posted by paulsuk View Post
    Hi from cold miserable UK.
    Back at ya from a breezy, sunny, mild day in Las Vegas! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    We want to take in Las Vegas for a couple of nights of shows and want to incorporate the Grand Canyon and Bryce.
    There are so many choices -- but the one parameter of driving only 150 to 200 miles per day is really going to make it tough. California, Arizona and Utah are very large places. Under those criteria, it would be a two-day journey to reach Las Vegas. But here is one idea: Stay overnight someplace near LAX and let your bodies get used to Pacific Coast time and then head north up to Ridgecrest. The next day follow the Trona road, past the Ruth Mine, through the Panamint Valley to Death Valley and either stay the night in Death Valley or make your way to Las Vegas.

Then follow this roadtrip, (I did it in two day, under your schedule it will take 3-4), from Las Vegas to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, etc. Return to Las Vegas -- lots to see do here -- 2-3 days with great day trips and then head back to the wedding.

Also be sure to look at the second post in this thread -- for more ideas in southern California and Arizona.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-20-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added navigation link

3. Default North v South

Thanks Mark, I'm going to get a good map and plot your suggested route. (Normally we do 200-250 miles a day but I tell my wife its only 150!).

From some of the threads I have read it seems more people favour the South rim than the North rim. Is there a reason for this? And if we wanted to do the plane/helicopter ride would this necessitate going to the South?

Thanks again Mark. I really appreciate your input.

Default A little mis-direction, perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by paulsuk View Post
    Thanks Mark, I'm going to get a good map and plot your suggested route.
    I am a fan of paper maps, here are my favorites, but for pre-planning purposes, the new versions of the online (free) planning tools are pretty amazing. Here are our recommendations.
    From some of the threads I have read it seems more people favour the South rim than the North rim.
    I prefer the north rim -- less people and dramatic views -- but getting to it requires more effort.
    And if we wanted to do the plane/helicopter ride would this necessitate going to the South?
    The best place to board for these excursions is in Las Vegas....

5. Default Another Option...

You've got the time to mosey around and really see some of the sights.

As a variation on the loop route, and trying to keep the daily miles down to a fairly light level (200-250 or thereabouts), another option would be to focus on an Arizona loop, including Las Vegas, DeathVally and Grand Canyon.

A rough routing would be

LA to Ridgecrest area
    Ridgecrest to Death valley (spend the night, do the sightseeing)
    Death Valley to Vegas.
    Vegas to Grand Canyon . Spend a day or two here looking around,
    Grand Canyon to Sedona
    Sedona to Phoenix
    Phoenix to Tucson (Saugaro national park, Colassal Caves, etc)
    Tucson to Yuma (thereabouts)
    Yuma to Julian
    Julian to San Diego
    San Diego to OC (Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington beach area)

That's 10 days. You could add in a couple of additional days to do Bryce and Zion, or even go east out of Grand Canyon to Monument Valley (about 150- 200 miles) The disadvantage of this route is it doesn't take you along the California coast near Big Sur, or to Yosemite or the like.

There are flights to the Grand Canyon and back from Las Vegas -- which have the advantage of flying the length of the GC -- there are also flights from near Tusayan, just south of the Grand Canyon Village on the south rim as well.

Default I agree about the mosey aspect!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    You've got the time to mosey around and really see some of the sights.
    Larrison's advice is, like usual, spot-on. You do have enough time to really see some cool stuff.

Mark

7. Default Thanks Guys

Mark & Larrison, you have given me lots of food for thought. I'm going to do some detailed planning and I may get back to you for comments later.

Its just stopped snowing here!