1. Default 2 week trip--SC to Seattle--July 07

My husband and I are planning a road trip for the first two weeks of July this year. We will be leaving SC headed to Seattle. We plan to swing by Mount Rushmore on the way then spend a few days with a friend in Seattle.

Then heading back we plan to go down the west coast, across to Vegas, Colorado and then head home.

I just found this forum and wonder if you guys have any tips or great places we need to go on our way.

BTW, we are not new to road trips. We drove SC to Omaha about 4 years ago, and came home through Chicago, Ohio, etc.
    Last year we went to Chicago by way of the bourbon distillaries in KY.

We are especially interested in craft beers, wines, historic sites, etc that are easy to do along the way!

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Default Timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
    My husband and I are planning a road trip for the first two weeks of July this year.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I see from your post that you and your husband are both experienced roadtrippers, but still I wonder just a little about your time line. If you have 14 total days and you will be spending "a few days" in Seattle (call it 3?) your shortest, possible circular route would be ~ 6723 miles. So, if you agree that you need to travel a minimum of 615 miles for each of those non-Seattle days than you need to expect to be on the road for nearly eleven hours each day. If you were to spend 2-3 hours at each of the places like Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, San Francisco, Las Vegas, etc. you will need to find another 12+ hours of driving time someplace in the trip.

Again this route could be done in two weeks, but you will be rushed -- is this really what you had intended?
    I just found this forum and wonder if you guys have any tips or great places we need to go on our way.
    If so, we can certainly share any number of tips with you, but still wonder how you are going to cover this much distance in the time you have.

Mark

3. Default

I guess we usually are on the road as long as possible. We generally don't plan where we'll spend the night.

Going to Omaha we did it all in one day...left about 4am one morning...stopped at some caves in Alabama and the Arc in St. Louis and were in Omaha by 2am that morning.

Of course, we can't drive that much every single day...but generally we are on the road about 7am and don't stop until about 10-11pm. We stop and do what seems interesting, but we are still able to cover a lot of ground.

Maybe our plan for coming back is a little too much. We were thinking it would take 3 days to get there...spend like 3 or 4 days and then 2 days down the coast, etc...Maybe we just don't realize how long this one is going to take...

But as far as actual time line...we should be leaving Friday June 29 AM and have to be back at work Monday July 16th AM.

Default I would say that is likely!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
    I guess we usually are on the road as long as possible. We generally don't plan where we'll spend the night.
    Good thing -- with that kind of driving regime -- it would be hard to predict!
    Going to Omaha we did it all in one day...left about 4am one morning...stopped at some caves in Alabama and the Arc in St. Louis and were in Omaha by 2am that morning.
    Holy Toledo! I hope you are careful observers of the tips in our Speed Run manual!
    but generally we are on the road about 7am and don't stop until about 10-11pm. We stop and do what seems interesting, but we are still able to cover a lot of ground.
    Sharing a cup of coffee with locals in small towns is probably not on your agenda most days!
    We were thinking it would take 3 days to get there
    Given your technique -- maybe. The problem is that it takes time to see Mt. Rushmore and the badlands and a few other must-stop places. But if you were to allow 4 days to reach Seattle and 3 days in the Seattle area (lots to do!) A serious speed run to Las Vegas in two days (no coastal driving would be possible in this time frame) A day or two in Las Vegas (catch up on some sleep) and see some of the sights and then 3-4 days zipping back through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas etc just might work. But I just don't see how you can get Colorado in there this time.

mark

5. Default

Ok. So, what are the must-sees between Nebraska & Washington?

We should definitely be able to get to about Nebraska the first day because we have been through all of those places a few times...so we'll just get as far as we can that day and after that we'll take our time and adjust our trip to whatever fits in.

I think we'd rather drive down the California coast than spend time in Las Vegas...so, what about great things to do traveling down the coast?

and just so you know...sharing a cup of coffee w/locals would not be our idea of a good time. lol We will stop at local restaurants for meals (probably whatever we see that looks interesting or whatever our GPS tells us about) but we are not interested in just random interaction with the local people.

Thanks for your help so far...it seems that we really need to make a list of priorities for the trip. Because our main objective is really spending time with our friend in Seattle and just getting whatever else out of it that we can!