1. Default LA to Grand Canyon to Hoover Dam to LA (road & weather concern)

Hi all,

Nice to meet you all. I will have a road trip with my friends on March 27th. Our starting point is "Los Angeles", we will use Freeway 40 -> 64 -> 180 to "Grand Canyon", then we will drive to "Hoover Dam" via Freeway 93. Then back to Los Angeles from via Freeway 15.

Did anyone have a similar trip in the past in this season? I have concerns about weather and road condition. I have checked several weather report web sites but I am still not sure whether there are snow or not. Anyone can give me some advices?

Also, I am wondering the road condition of Freeway 64 & 180 (to grand canyon) and Freeway 93 (to Hoover dam). My car is a 2000 corolla. Do you think it's easy to drive in those freeways? I have driven to Flagstaff from Los Angeles before and I think my car is OK.

Thanks so much for your help. really appreciate.
    Vincent

Default Highways Defined

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First, I think you could use a little primer on the definitions of Highways in the U.S.

Freeways refer to 4 or more lane highways with limited access (i.e. they can only be accessed with exit and enterance ramps, with cross streets passing over or under the freeway). All Interstates, including I-15 and I-40 are freeways, but most U.S. or State Highways are not freeways.

Most US or State highways are 2 lane roads that go through towns, have cross streets, stop signs, and other signals. The roads from I-40 up to the Grand Canyon fit this description.

Now having said that all of these routes are used by thousands of regular sedans every day, with the Corolla being about the perfect definition of an average car. You should have no problems traveling any of the roads on this trip.

Default Routing issues

Quote Originally Posted by vkidd32 View Post
    Our starting point is "Los Angeles", we will use Freeway 40 -> 64 -> 180 to "Grand Canyon", then we will drive to "Hoover Dam" via Freeway 93. Then back to Los Angeles from via Freeway15.
    Beyond the definitions as Midwest Michael has pointed out -- you need to look at those numbers a little bit more. For the record, that would be I-40 to the AZ-64 But there is no reason for you to travel on US-180. And then to get to to Hoover Dam on the way back from the Grand Canyon you will go north on US-93. And then continue on US-93 to I-15 and back to LA.
    I have checked several weather report web sites but I am still not sure whether there are snow or not. Anyone can give me some advices?
    Temperatures around Las Vegas have been in the middle 90's this week and so the chance of snow is rather remote.

Mark

4. Default

Thanks Michael & Mark,

I always confuse about the difference b/w freeways and highways.
    Thanks a lot!

I am glad that there is no snow in the Las Vegas area. However, 2 of the web sites show that there will be snow in Williams, AZ and Grand Canyon on March 28th. But one other web site says it will be a sunny day. May be I should buy a tire chain now, right? Thanks for advices.

Vincent

Default Snow

It is recommended that if you have any concerns about the snow chains, that you get them now and practice putting them on now, so if you need them you will know what to do.

I just looked at the forecast for Williams and Grand Canyon- there is a small chance of snow at this point (though weather forecasts out more than a couple of days are always suspect), and the daytime temperatures seem more than adequate to melt whatever small precipitation is expected to fall.

At this point, it looks like your biggest concern will be wet roads.

6. Default

sorry I don't have many experiences of road trip. and I have never drive on snowy road. Anything I have to pay attention for wet roads? or it's just the same as driving in rainy day.

Thanks!

Default Snowy roads

The best advice for snowy roads is to be aware of how much friction you have between tires and the road. Similar to wet roads, your traction will be reduced, and speed increases this effect, so you will want to reduce speed to compensate. It's simple physics, really. You will also want to be aware of the temperatures around you, as the moisture on the road can freeze. The key is to be a "smooth operator", no jerky motions with the wheel, brakes, or accelerator. I've long considered driving a dance - no flogging on your dance partner (the car).

As always, you will want to be aware of what those around you are doing, but not necessarily emulate them.

Here are some excellent tips as well.