1. Default Chicago to Seattle

I'm moving to Seattle April 21st and my co-driver and I are planning on taking 94 and then 90. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the route or towns to be sure to stop in along the way?

Default Which way

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How far are you planning to take I-94? Are you only taking it to Tomah, Wisconsin and then taking I-90 across, or are you planning to go all the way through Minneapolis and North Dakota on I-94 before rejoining I-90 in Montana?

What sort of towns would you be interested in stopping in? Fun touristy places, natural wonders, or something else?

Also, how much time do you have for your trip? There are lots of options along both routes, but knowing how much free time you'll have to work with will help let us know what might be the best stops for you.

3. Default Thanks!

Well, I just started planning the trip this morning, so I'm not sure yet. We could do either I-94 to I-90 in Wisconsin, or I-94 to I-90 in Montana.

Basically, this trip will be a whirlwind. We'll probably leave shortly before noon on Saturday and would like to get to Seattle by Monday night, so we'll be driving an average of 10 hours a day. As such, we won't have all that much time for lengthy diversions; I'd just really like to find some things to look forward to along the way to make the trip seem a bit shorter. (So we can say, "Only 150 more miles to the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices" rather than, "Only 1500 more miles to Seattle!")

That said, we're looking for anything! Silly museums, kitschy truck stops, natural wonders, anything! The only caveat is, since we're definitely short on time, the closer to the highway, the better.

Thanks in advance :)

Default A lot closer to 12+ hours

Quote Originally Posted by AvantGardienne View Post
    Basically, this trip will be a whirlwind. We'll probably leave shortly before noon on Saturday and would like to get to Seattle by Monday night, so we'll be driving an average of 10 hours a day.
    By the shortest possible route, it is 2075 miles and that would require three days of travel (12 hours per day) and since you mentioned that you won't be able to hit the road until noon on Saturday, so if you drive 10 hours on Saturday, sleep in and recover a little bit on Sunday and then drive 12 hours, you will still need to drive at least 14 hours on Monday.
    As such, we won't have all that much time for lengthy diversions;
    I would say that you have NO TIME FOR ANY DIVERSIONS! Hammer down -- read these tips for a speed run and get there safely!

Mark

Default Oh My!

Well, Sorry to tell you, but cute roadside stops simply aren't going to be an option with that time frame.

In fact, 3 ten hour days on the road won't get you to Seattle. It would only get you to aroun Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, a good 300 miles from Seattle.

To do this in 3 days, you're going to need to focus on covering ground, period. Basically, look forward to getting to Sioux Falls, SD, on your first night and Bozeman, MT on your second.

This is going to be a full out speed run, with no time for side trips, sorry.

6. Default Ok, but...

What if we allow another day? I'm just looking for suggestions of things to do to see whether or not there's enough to merit taking another day. Any thoughts?

If you decide to go through south dakota and have some time, stop in and see my "friend beside the road" as he calls himself, in Murdo. The museum features cars, trucks, tractors, and all sorts of vintage stuff, from the ordinary to the very unusual. For more info, click here. I think there might even be coupons for a little savings. It is a neat place to stop, rest, and get some eats, plan on burning at least half a day there. Just $0.02 worth.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-20-2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Default South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by AvantGardienne View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Here are some ideas from South Dakota.

Mark

Default The first half

This thread has some good suggestions for roadside stops along I-90 between Chicago and Wyoming.