Default Summer/Fall Honeymoon

Hello all!

My fiance and I are thinking of planning a two week, cross country road trip for our honeymoon. We live in Maine and would like to reach California before heading back. Any suggestions for routes that would be doable in this amount of time? I took a trip two years ago from Maine to Cali and back again that encompassed 28 states in 18 days with 3 days spent in San Fran. and plenty of sightseeing. We're both up for long days of driving, so what do you think?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Pushing things

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can cover the distance, but I'm not sure how much time you'll have for relaxing and "Honeymooning."

Even driving long days, you'll need 5 days each way to get to California, so that only leaves 4 days for exploring on a 2 week trip. Certainly, you can use your previous experience as a guide, and if you felt you had "plenty of sightseeing" in your last trip, you could be ok. However, if you are looking to relax after the stress that goes along with a wedding, you might want to consider something a little less ambitious.

Thanks for the tips! My fiance and I are having a very small wedding (just 22 people), so we should be well-rested beforehand. What we may end up doing, is just heading out toward the redwoods in CA, enjoying what views may be had on the way. We both really enjoy driving - even long days spent in the car.

I spent a lot of time on I-90 on my way west last time. I imagine that 20 and 50 are more scenic?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Its all scenic

US-20 and US-50 both have their scenic features, but I also think that I-90 is a great highway for scenery too. Sticking to the US highways will take you directly into more towns, especially small towns, which can be fun, but is also a lot slower.

Mix it up a little. I think you'll need to spend some time on the interstates to cover the ground you want to cover, but you should have time to spend some of your trip exploring at a slower 2-lane pace.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Us-20

US-20 West of Chicago is a nice road. I know that since I last traveled on it, much of the road in Iowa has been updated. Besides one section with a long convoy of trucks (again in Iowa), it wasn't significantly slower than driving on the Interstates in the area, and for the most part, there was very little traffic.

I would stick with the Interstates on at least the Eastern portion of your journey, heading out of New England. Things open up significantly West of the Mississippi, which you probably noticed on your last trip out. If there is time left over when you head back, then you can explore some of the Easter two-laners.