1. Default NY to South Carolina

Hi, I am new to this forum as well as to this whole road trip idea. I was originally going to go on a vacation out of the country, however I am deciding to drive from NYC (manhattan) to South Carolina. I don't really know where to start, I have about 7 days and I would like to stay beach front in SC. Anyone have any starter tips for me. What are some good places to stop off? Any good bed and breakfast places in SC?
    I guess I have my hands full with this one!
    Thanks for the help, this seems like the right place to start having read all of the other posts.

Tucson, AZ

Default First Things First

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are, of course, several different ways to get from New York to South Carolina. Here's a post where I lay out your three basic choices. But if you only have seven days for the complete round trip and want to maximize your time on the SC beach, then you should probably just stick to I-95. Next you'll need to decide where you're going to be staying in South Carolina. You've got three basic choices if you want beach front: 1) the Grand Strand - Myrtle Beach area, Folly Beach or Isle of Palms around Charleston, or the upscale Hilton Head Resort. So I'd say once you've chosen a route and a destination, you'll be well on your way. The rest should be easy!?

3. Default NY to SC question...

AZBuck: I was searching the boards looking for info on our roadtrip from NY to SC next week when I came across an old posting of yours. In it, you referred folks to 3 different routes, but the link actually took me to directions for Boston to Atlanta. Do you, by any chance, have this same info available for the NYtoSC trip?
    Also - my biggest question I am hoping you (or anybody else) can help with is this: what is the best TIME OF DAY to leave NY going to SC? I believe it's a 12 hour trip. Check in is 4pm. My husband thinks we should leave at midnight. Advice, please? Thanks....

4. Default NY to SC

Your husband is right on leaving at midnight from NY will get the first 1/2 of the trip, which will have the most posibility of traffic and the least scenic part of the trip in the early hours. Then when the sun rises you can enjoy the scenery.
    Have a wonderful trip.

5. Default Leaving at Midnight

Thanks very much for your input! Do you have suggestions on the best route there?

Tucson, AZ

Default Time of Day and Time of Trip

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you are planning on driving through the wee hours of the morning and think that you can make it (over 700 miles) to South Carolina in 12 hours, than clearly you are looking for the most time efficient route down, and that is just I-95 except that you should use the New Jersey Turnpike which technically isn't I-95 south of Trenton. All you really have to make sure of by leaving early in the morning is that you can get by Washington, DC before its rush hour starts (around 6:00 AM). You could leave NYC as late as 1:30 AM and still make that happen, Leaving at midnight wouldn't quite get you past Richmond before its rush hour, so if it were up to me, I'd leave around 1:00 and stop for breakfast around Fredericksburg, VA.

But as I mentioned earlier it is over 700 miles to South Carolina, depending on exactly where you're headed. With reasonable stops for food, fuel and nature breaks, as well as some allowance for traffic slow downs that is probably going to take you a bit over 12 hours, and to try to do that on very little or even no sleep is just asking for trouble.

7. Default Sleep

Not to worry AZB, we'll be taking turns driving and both of us will have plenty of sleep under our belts. We've got two children in the car, so there is no way we would ever jeopardize that. I realize it will be more like 14-16 hours with all the pitstops. Thanks for your input!!

8. Default

I am considering the same trip this summer with my daughter. I'm wondering about taking a train. Would you recommend this? Is it easy to rent a car when arriving in South Carolina from the train station.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Road vs Rail.

Hi, and Welcome to The Great American roadtrip forum

It really depends on what the purpose of your trip is and what you would want to see along the way. I love traintravel, but it does not allow you to stop and check out things you may see along the way. Whereas on the other hand, it can be a more relaxing way to travel.

You don't say where in SC you are heading, but I would imagine that any place Amtrak has a station would have car rental places. A quick internet search would find them for you.