Default New York - Florida - New York

We (2 adults and two teenage girls) are driving from New York to Florida and back over two weeks beginning 7 July. We know how we want to get to Florida (pretty much follow the coast with an excursion inland to Williamsburg) over four days to get to Florida. We will take the freeway from Charleston SC. We will then have 3 or 4 days at Disneyworld and environs. That leaves about week for the return trip and I am thinking, in general terms, of driving along the western side of the Appalachians and two day stop in Washington DC. I don't know the East Coast at all and have never done a road trip in this part of the US. Suggestions, tips about anything, i.e. sight seeing, accommodation, eating etc will be welcome. Of course I will study maps and guide books too, but as I am new to this forum and have enjoyed the threads I have looked at so far, thought it would be good to take advantage of other folks experiences. We will be arriving at JFK and, in the past on the West Coast, have always used Alamo car rentals. They don’t have a depot at JFK. How complicated will it be to get to their nearest depot to pick up a vehicle or is there a company (with competitive rates) that has a depot at JFK that someone would recommend? We have been very happy with Alamo’s rates and service to date and have used them a number of times.

Default National is there

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    We will be arriving at JFK and, in the past on the West Coast, have always used Alamo car rentals.
    The same company that owns Alamo also owns National Car Rental and I just checked -- National services the JFK airport. I started out with Alamo too, but found over the years, that the frequent user program run by National (Emerald) runs circles around Alamo's program.
    We will then have 3 or 4 days at Disneyworld and environs.
    I reviewed a book a while back that gives insider tips for visiting the theme parks, it has been updated since I died the review -- but here is some of that info.
    That leaves about week for the return trip and I am thinking, in general terms, of driving along the western side of the Appalachians and two day stop in Washington DC.
    The Great Smokey Mountains NP is pretty cool and there are some great tips here, filed by Mass Tim on a trip he took to Kentucky and Ohio.

Mark

Default This is helpful - thanks

I will check out National and have found the other information useful.
    Thanks