Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Winnipeg - New Orleans and Beyond in 14 days!

Just to clarify... this would be a ROUND-TRIP in 14 days!

We have 14 days at the end of April for our trip. and I've been leaning towards driving out to the Grand Canyon. Being from 'Winterpeg' I'm not too concerned about the winter driving, but I'm wondering if this is just not enough time to do this trip any justice. We can make good time on the interstates on the prairies... But will we have time to hit a couple of national parks in Utah and Arizona and still have time to relax and go hiking in each place before we race back home?

Or should we go south-east instead and eat as much Barbecue as we can in KC, St.Louis and Memphis before our time runs out?

Any suggestions for fun stops along the way? Memorable interstate food? (I-29, I-80, I-70)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-17-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Default Possible, but Difficult

Welcome to the RTA Forum.

I'd say you could make this trip in 10 days, but I'm not sure you'd have a lot of time for relaxing.

Winnipeg to Grand Canyon is about 2000 miles one way taking the most direct Interstate Route (I-29 to Omaha, I-80, 76 to Denver, I-25 to Albq, I-40 to Flagstaff). That's a minimum of a 3 day drive one way pushing very hard and assuming good weather. Considering you'll be traveling in February, I'd work in at least 7 or 8 days just for driving round trip, giving you only 2 or 3 days to hike and relax.

BBQ might be a better choice this time.

Default Talk about a speed run!

Welcome!

I agree with Midwest. I just see no way you can do this and have any time or energy left to explore the fantastic parks down there. If you had 2 weeks, it would become more do-able.

I wish I had BBQ tips for you but I'm not familiar with that area. But that sounds like a lot better idea in the time you have.

Default South Rim only

Just to clarify that during the winter months, you can only go to the South Rim of the GC. Coming down from Winnipeg, you might have thought that you can hit the north rim. I just wanted to make sure that you knew.

If you have time in Arizona, you can catch a Coyote's game for a little nostalgia. They were once the Winnipeg Jets.

Default Way off topic but...

Quote Originally Posted by roadie4
    If you have time in Arizona, you can catch a Coyote's game for a little nostalgia. They were once the Winnipeg Jets.
    That reminds me of a Smashing Pumpkins concert in Winnipeg I saw a few years back. It was a hot summer day and the concert was outdoors, with most of the people up front asking for water. Band leader Billy Corgan, who'd been full of himself for most of the performance, taunted the crowd by saying, "you want water? we'll get you some water, the Winnipeg Jets would be right out with it." or something along those lines.

I thought there was going to be a riot, until I remembered I was surrounded by Canadian Hippies.

That trip was also the only time I've both witnessed a collition and later run off the road at 85 mph during a roadtrip. Good Times!

6. Default Winnipeg - New Orleans loop

We have 14 days at the end of April for our trip. We have done quite a bit of planning about our itinerary so far, but if anybody has specific advice or warnings or exciting detours, let us know! I'm also interested in road food suggestions - a big part of this trip for me is getting some BBQ (non-existent up here), crawfish, and other southern specialties. I'm also a photography buff, so if there are any springtime wildflower displays, I'd like to learn about that too!

This is kind of how we think it will work:
    Day one - Wpg to Omaha. A long driving day, but it's a nice straight line on good roads.
    Day two - roll into Kansas City for some barbecue for lunch and spend the night close to the Arkansas border.

Next couple of days - take it slowly through the Ozarks south to Texarkana. My husband wants to check out Waldron, Arkansas - apparently it's interesting geologically? Maybe do some hiking - I've been checking out the Lost Valley Trail close to Harrison which sounds pretty cool.

Eventually head into western Louisiana. I'm thinking I want to head straight south for Cajun country - Breaux Bridge area for crawfish! I'm not quite sure what there is to see or do on the way, but we may make this a heavy driving day.

At this point we may head straight for New Orleans for 2 days, or we may want to go south to Grand Isle first. I've been there before and it's a long road to get there, but my husband wants to check it out for himself.

After a few days in New Orleans (we'll be there around Jazz fesitival time, but we may have to skip the concerts..) we want to drive out to Biloxi and maybe as far as Mobile on the Gulf Coast.

Then it's a pretty quick drive back home, hopefully stopping in Memphis, St.Louis, and K.C. on the way back for some more BBQ! I'm not quite sure of the best way to get through Mississippi up to Memphis. We could backtrack to New Orleans and take the interstate up to Memphis, but if anybody has good suggestions with interesting places to see, food to eat on the way through Mississippi, that would be great.

It's pretty ambititious, but we like our road trips ambitious! I don't mind long driving days if they're interspersed with a few slow, interesting days.

So... any ideas?

Default May not be a banner year for wildflowers

Quote Originally Posted by froddard View Post
    I'm also a photography buff, so if there are any springtime wildflower displays, I'd like to learn about that too!
    Weather this winter was odd and I don't know if the rain fell in the right areas at the right time for springtime wildflowers. The best bets this year will probably be in Texas, which has seen an extraordinary amount of rain this year!
    After a few days in New Orleans (we'll be there around Jazz fesitival time, but we may have to skip the concerts..)
    If you are looking for crawfish -- those concerts are a great way to find some!

Mark

Default More Odds and Ends

A few tips that might be of help on your trip:

The two best BBQ joints in KC are (according to my daughter and son-in-law who lived and partied there) Arthur Bryant's and Gates and Sons

If you're going to be in western Arkansas with an interest in geology, then you have to check out Crater of Diamonds State Park.

In northwestern Louisiana, I had a very relaxed time in the little town of Gibsland. This is where Bonnie and Clyde got gunned down, and there are a couple of small museums devoted to the fact. They have a festival every year on May 23rd (the anniversary), so you'll be a bit early, but maybe you can catch some of the pre-festival buzz.

Since your husband is apparently into geology (a good reason to head out onto the crowsfoot) he might also want to make a stop at the Old River Control Project, where the Corps of Engineers is valiantly trying to keep the Mississippi from changing course to the Atchafalaya.

Finally, as for getting from Mobile/Biloxi to Memphis. If you can spare the time, Mississippi is one of those states that will offer a completely different face depending on whether you take the Interstate or use the US/state roads. I recommend the later. US-49 offers a good compromise as it's 4-lane for the most part and you can use the Interstates to bypass the cities of Hatiesburg and Jackson, but you will still be going through some small towns and have a better chance of getting local color.

AZBuck

9. Default

The Old River Control Project looks really interesting. My husband's been taking some water resources courses this spring, so he'd be really interested in that.

I like the idea of driving through Mississippi slowly on side roads. Any particular routes that might be better than others?

Default We really like US-61

Quote Originally Posted by froddard View Post
    I like the idea of driving through Mississippi slowly on side roads.
    One of our contributors wrote an excellent guide to US-61 and we have driven part of it, since some of it has been designated as "the River Road."

Mark