1. Default Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas

hi roadtrippers

My wife and I are planning a trip to San Francisco and a drive to Las Vegas (via a 2 night stop in Lake Tahoe) in late May this year... There are loads of threads covering this trip but non of them seem to answer my specific question... which is...

Is driving from Stateline to LV in one day reasonable or should I be looking to break the journey with an overnight stop somewhere???

thanks in advance for any tips and/or advice...

Alan (from Scotland)

Default Do-able in a day

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The drive can certainly be done in a day, although it will be a fairly long day.

I'd take US-395 down through California and cut through Death Valley. If you've got some time or don't like long driving days, you might consider spending the night in Death Valley.

The drive is a little under 500 miles, so without any majore stops, you should expect to spend around 9 hours on the road.

3. Default

thanks MM

looking at google maps it looks like the 395 to Lone Pine then through DV to either Beatty or Pahrump (what a wonderful name for a place)... am I on the right track?

9 hours seems reasonable... we were planning an early start from Stateline and hoped to arrive in LV early to mid evening so it all sounds doable... thanks again.

cheers Alan

Default Tonopah is also a good run

Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    Is driving from Stateline to LV in one day reasonable or should I be looking to break the journey with an overnight stop somewhere???
    Alan, Michael's suggestion (above) is probably my favorite route between Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas, but US-95 all the way down the western edge of Nevada is also a nice drive.

While you are in the Lake Tahoe area, you might wish to include a day trip to Virginia City -- Virginia City is a old-time near-ghost town that has transformed itself into a thriving community. Still has lots of the old-west flavor and some great museums.

If you drive down US-95 some of the highlights: pull into one of the roadside picnic grounds at Walker Lake and check out the mounds that surround Hawthorne. This is an US Army depot for the storage of dangerous and otherwise bad chemical weapons and it is slighty surreal to drive through.

When you reach Tonapah check out the Mining Museum -- it has one of the best collections in the west and well worth a time-out.

Goldfield is another former mining town that is struggling to stay alive. Check out the old buildings downtown -- Wyatt and Virgil Earp lived and worked here. Actually Virgil died in this town.

As you drive past Beatty, if you look to the east, behind those mountains is the top-secret Area 51 and home to the Nevada Test site.

When you reach Indian Springs, the airbase is home to the latest Predator warplanes (un-manned aircraft) and you can often see them practicing landings at the strip along the highway. Across the street is the Sekhmet Temple.

And then you reach Las Vegas -- home to RTA!

Another option, which would miss Death Valley, but is a gorgeous drive would be to follow US-395 south past Mammoth, Mono Lake and Bishop and then turn east on CA-168 (Westgard Pass Road) and swing by the Shullman Grove Bristlecone Forest before headin on to east and over to US-95. More information about this route is online here in this field report.

All of these options can be done in a day, but if you could stretch it to two, you could stop and explore more of the country as you head south.

Mark

Default Doing the Death Valley Option

Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    looking at google maps it looks like the 395 to Lone Pine then through DV to either Beatty or Pahrump (what a wonderful name for a place)... am I on the right track?
    That is one option, but not the one we recommend.

Just beyond Lone Pine you do veer off on CA-136 along the edge of Owens Lake and then join CA-190 to begin the climb into Death Valley. We recommend stopping for an ice tea at Panamint Springs (and marveling at the redwood burl bar and the photos & the characters who hang out there) and then drive up into the park. Instead of turning north again and back-tracking to Beatty, stay on CA-190 and drive down to Furnace Creek. Again, lots to see and do and I would certainly recommend a stop at the gorgeous garden oasis of the Furnace Creek Inn (more ice tea?) before making your way to Las Vegas on the local's route -- State Line Road to NV-160 and then follow NV-160 through Pahrump and into Las Vegas.

Mark

6. Default into the valley...

...thanks folks.

exactly what I needed...

regards

Straw