Default las vegas to SF via san diego

hello all
    we're planning a trip from vegas to SF via san diego.
    is one week enough?
    can anyone recommend sights / attractions/ accomodations /restaurants/ car rentas/anything else
    does anyone know if it,s possible to reach crater lake (oregon) in the beginning of april?
    we'll appreciate any kind of info.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One week is definitely enough time to do this trip, which clocks in at about 840 miles - that averages to 120 miles a day, a mere two hours on the road. Of course, you will probably have a couple of long days and several short ones.

What kinds of things are you interested in for sights? Are you out for the nightlife of these fine cities, or are you interested in what is in between them? A mixture of both?

Your budget will help determine some of these items, too, such as accommodations and restaurants.

thanks for your reply we'd like a mixture of both
    our budget is arround 3000$ (hoping to double it in vegas)
    thanks again
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-17-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: white space format

Default san diego to san francisco

hello again
    can anyone help with tips along that road: sightseeing, attractions, nightlife, accomodations, restaurants, peaple.i'm talking about 6 days & about 3000$.
    many thanks
    jb
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-17-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Default Look around here a little

Quote Originally Posted by jbahir View Post
    hello again
    can anyone help with tips along that road:
    There are about 1200 threads that address the route you are considering, look at the second post in this thread and also look at the bottom of this page for more ideas.

Mark

6. Default What are you interested in?

hello again
    can anyone help with tips along that road:
    sightseeing, attractions, nightlife, accomodations, restaurants, peaple.
    i'm talking about 6 days & about 3000$.
    Hello jbahir --

What type of things are you interested in? That trip can cover a huge range of things from mountains to major cities, and from scenery to amusement parks. What type of things interest you on a trip?

As a range of things to visit, given that you have 6 days, you can visit a huge range of places and do even more things at them. I think folks are being slow to respond, as we're not sure what you'd like to do, and there are so many things to suggest.

The standard things to do sort of along the way are

- San Diego area: Visit Mexico, Sea World, Musueums, San Diego Zoo, La Jolla Village
    - LA Area: Hollywood, museums, clothing/fashion, beaches, amusement parks (Disneyland, Knotts, etc.)
    - Santa Barbara: Museum, beaches, wineries, missions
    - Big Sur/ Coast 1: Scenery, wildlife (elephant seals), Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel, wineries, Monterey Bay
    - SF: Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Alcatraz, Golden Gate, Cable Cars

But just to pick a couple of off the wall examples of some of the detail -- There are a half dozen or so very good car musuems in LA, which cover the history and kinetic art of cars. They're not really well known, but have some amazing displays and exhibitions. Similarly, there are world-class aviation and space musuems in San Diego, Chino, Palm Springs, Palmdale/ Edwards, etc. If you're into science and technology you can visit such places as where the Lindburgh "Spirit of St Louis" first trans-atlantic airplane was built (in San Diego), several world class observatories (Palomar, Wilson and Lick), some of the leading universities doing scientific research (Caltech and others), NASA space exploration centers (Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena), one of the busiest space launch sites in the world (Vandenberg Air Force Base), visit Silicon Valley (which has several musuems), and several world class acquariums/ research facilities (Scripps Oceanographic in La Jolla, and Monterey Bay Aquarium for two).

We're just not sure what to suggest that you would want to see...

Default Thanks

Dear Larrison
    It May Seem Trivial To You, But To Us You've Been Very Helpfull.
    We're Coming All The Way From Israel And Trying To Waste As Little Time As Possible Looking At Maps Or Making Plans.
    My Wife Likes Fashion & Shopping And I Like Sightseeng And Very Much Interested In Technology. We Both Like Interesting People.
    Thanks Again And We'll Be Glad To Hear If You Have Other Interesting Ideas.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-17-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

My family really enjoyed 'Hearst Castle', after staying the night in the San Simeon area, driving on to Monterey after visiting the castle. What a great drive up the coast it is!

9. Default Comments..

[ ... ] We're Coming All The Way From Israel And Trying To Waste As Little Time As Possible Looking At Maps Or Making Plans.
    My Wife Likes Fashion & Shopping And I Like Sightseeng And Very Much Interested In Technology. We Both Like Interesting People.
    Hi jbahir --

I'd really suggest spending an evening just surfing around the net looking at places you might want to visit. It won't be wasted time, as I think it'll pay back several times over in letting you preplan a bit where you'd like to go, and have a better idea of things to do.

If your wife is into fashion and shipping, there are several options for interesting places for her to stop between SD and SF. For example, if you can take the trolley down to the border and cross into Mexico for an afternoon there are some very good shops there with a different set of cultural items to look at and shop for (But of course, you'll need to check out if you need a separate visa, what the passport, US/Mexico entry and re-entry requirements are, etc.). Similarly, La Jolla Village (just north of San Diego) is a world class shopping area, as are several areas in LA (South Coast Plaza, Rodeo Drive, etc). Plus there are several major outlet mall areas on the route from SD to SF which are collections of name-brand/ designer stores set up together.

If you're interested in Technology, a couple of places to visit that aren't on some of the lists, but interesting to visit include the Science Center and Musuem in Balboa Park in San Diego (this is right near the famous San Diego Zoo), Palomar Observatory (a bit off the road north, but there's a visitors center there), and Mt Wilson Observatory above Pasadena (near LA). The exploratorium in SF is a world class hands on science museum -- and although its set up for kids, I know a lot of adults who have fun there too. There are also a couple of Silicon Valley musuems focusing on the electronics and internet companies in the San Jose/ SF area -- but other than having been to one a decade or so ago, you'll have to check the web site for this.

I think I covered aviation history on my other posting, but if you're into high speed flight there's an open-air site in Palmdale CA near Edwards that has displays of SR-71, U-2 and Stealth fighters (Blackbird Park). Edwards does offer tours through the base musuem as the leading flight test center in the US, but I'm not sure what the requirements for that, or any non-US citizen restrictions (as its on an operational air force base). Vandenberg Air Force Base (space launch center) does have some tours as well, but if you can't get one you might just go through the city of Lompoc down to Surf Beach, which is a County beach on the coast in the middle of Vandenberg. From there you can see several space launch facilities, although they aren't labeled. (And of course, to get near the facilities from the state beach, you have to pass through security gates with guards who will ask you "where you think you're going?!!"...)

And from a general sightseeing perspective, just relax and enjoy the countryside. You'll have the opportunity, and depending upon your inclination and time, to visit anything from the deserts to the mountains, and go along some very scenic country, particularly if you go north through Big Sur. I'd recommend Hearst Castle, just for a funky interesting place, and the Elephant Seal Colony at Pedros Blancas (about 10 miles north of Hearst Castle, on the way up to Big Sur), and Monterey/ Carmel to visit the acquarium have dinner out on the wharf at Monterey, and visit the Monterey Bay aquarium if you can.

And just for grins, if you can take a couple of hours and do some wine tasting in one of the areas you'll pass through. There are wine producing areas in Temecula (not far from San Diego, and near Palomar Mtn), San Ynez (near Lompoc and Santa Barbara), near Paso Robles (not far from San Luis Obispo and San Simeon/ Hearst Castle) and in the Monterey area.

I hope you folks have a good trip and enjoy the journey.