1. Default Honeymoon - San Diego to Seattle

Trying to plan my honeymoon. Plan to fly into San Diego, stay on Coronado Island for 2 nights and then head north to Seattle. Are 13 days enough? We don't want to be too rushed, but not sure how much time to plan on.

We're currently planning on June 25th through July 7th so I'm assuming it's going to be a busy time on the coast. Do you think we need to book hotels or can we just find them as we go? What's a reasonable amount of miles to cover in one day assuming we stop to see the sights, etc? It'd be nice to book a day or two in wine country but I'm having a hard time determining when we'll get there.

Any information or tips would be appreciated.

Default Congratulations on the pending event!

Quote Originally Posted by peters28 View Post
    Trying to plan my honeymoon.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sometimes, I think we ought to become wedding planners, since we are called upon to respond to these type of queries so often.
    Plan to fly into San Diego, stay on Coronado Island for 2 nights and then head north to Seattle.
    Sounds great. I see you have been looking at some of the threads -- here is a thread with a bunch of links to other threads in the second post. Also check out this excellent field report about the north coast of California up to Seattle.

More later.

Mark

3. Default 13 days is plenty... but you can spend more

Quote Originally Posted by peters28 View Post
    Trying to plan my honeymoon. Plan to fly into San Diego, stay on Coronado Island for 2 nights and then head north to Seattle. Are 13 days enough? We don't want to be too rushed, but not sure how much time to plan on.

We're currently planning on June 25th through July 7th so I'm assuming it's going to be a busy time on the coast. Do you think we need to book hotels or can we just find them as we go? What's a reasonable amount of miles to cover in one day assuming we stop to see the sights, etc? It'd be nice to book a day or two in wine country but I'm having a hard time determining when we'll get there.

Any information or tips would be appreciated.
    Congratulations!

13 days is enough, but I'm also assuming you don't want to kill yourself with a drive on any day. You can do it in 2 days, taking the fast I-5 route -- but those would be long 10+ hour driving days.

So there's your range of time -- is there anywhere you'd really like to stop and visit? Is there anywhere you'd really like to spend some time?

Since you mentioned Wine County, here's a rough cut at something to consider.. You'll be going past about a half dozen major wine growing areas...

Day 1-3 San Diego

Day 4 - Through LA to Santa Barbara or San Ynez wine country

Day 5 - San Simeon, Heast Castle (stay somewhere around Hearst Castle)

Day 6 - through Carmel & Monterey to SF

Day 7 - San Francisco

Day 9 - to Napa Valley

Day 10 wine tasting day in Napa Valley

Day 11 to Crescent City (Redwoods)

Day 12 - turn inland to Ashland and continue north to approximately Salem. Note, there is excellent wine country in Oregon near here.

Day 13 - to Seattle

There are numerous variations on this -- you can make up all the way along the coast in 13 days, but you won't spend time in Wine County. Similarly there are wine growing and making regions near Temecula (north of San Diego), San Ynez (where the movie Sideways was filmed), Paso Robles (170+ wineries last time I saw a count), Monterey/ Santa Cruz, Napa/ Sonoma, and Oregon/ Williamette Valley.

4. Default Thanks - couple more questions

Thank you so much for your suggestions. They really helped me with a starting point. We've booked a lot of the trip, but I'm still struggling with a couple details. Wondering if anyone can help...

1. I was thinking it'd be nice to spend a night in Monterey as I've heard good things about the area. If we do, we either swing by Hearst Castle on our way from Santa Barbara without spending the night in the area OR we spend a night in San Simeon and Monterey but lose a night in northern California. Is Monterey/Carmel worth it or will we see enough on our way through to San Francisco?

2. We're planning to stay in Sonoma and then drive to Crescent City, but that's over 300 miles. Is that too much for one day? Is there much to see in that area? I guess this somewhat relates to my first question? Extra night in Monterey or north of San Francisco?

Thanks again for all your help! This is such a great forum!
    Beth