Thread: Honeymoon

1. Default Honeymoon

First time poster and again apologies for posting another thread on touring the west coast of the States but I had a few specifics. I'm heading on my honeymoon in late August early September to America. Flying from Dublin to Las Vegas. Staying there for 4 days and then driving up to San Francisco. I had planned on flying into Los Angeles but didn't see any attraction in spending time there. I have pretty much decided what I can do in Vegas, so I'll take in a few shows and maybe take a helicopter ride around the Grand Canyon.

It is the rest of the trip that I could do with a little advice on.

Day 1 Arrive in Vegas, pm, so rest for evening
    Day 2-5 Do Vegas stuff!!
    Day 6 Leaving Las Vegas, I plan to head towards Death Valley National Park and overnight in Furnace Creek. (160 to 190)
    Day 7 Leave Furnace Creek and head to Yosemite and plan to stay near Fish Camp. Stay in Yosemite for 2 days (190 - 136 - I395 - 120)
    Day 10 Leave Yosemite. Had planned to travek to San Francisco but read about some people visiting Monterey and was wondering if this would be worth a visit for a day before travelling up to San Francisco. (Travel from here??)
    Day 15 Leave for Ireland.

I wanted to mix city activities with ourdoor activities. So we can catch a few shows in Vegas and Alctraz etc in San Francisco but didn't want to miss out in exploring the countryside.

Could anybody recommend a route from Vegas to San Francisco taking in the above and also perhaps give their opinion on an overnight in Monterey or sosmewhere else on the route.

BTW Great site folks.

Default Congratulations on the pending event!

Quote Originally Posted by colinraff View Post
    First time poster and again apologies for posting another thread on touring the west coast of the States
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Congratulations on your pending marriage. There is always room for another post on this subject. But, just in case you haven't seen them all -- here is a thread (see the second post) that will provide a glimpse at some of the 1200+ threads about this route....
    I had planned on flying into Los Angeles but didn't see any attraction in spending time there.
    If you would like some motivation in that regards, just look at some of Larrison's posts -- LA is one of the most fascinating places on earth to most of us...
    I have pretty much decided what I can do in Vegas, so I'll take in a few shows and maybe take a helicopter ride around the Grand Canyon.
    Yeah, no one really needs much help in finding cool stuff in Las Vegas, but if you are tempted to read what a local has to say -- check out the Megan Edwards' site. (We are in the middle of a 100% site redesign and so some of the "navigation coolness" of the site is challenged) -- but there are still some good suggestions. Two of the sidetrips I frequently recommend are Grapevine Canyon and the Hoover Dam.
    Day 6 Leaving Las Vegas, I plan to head towards Death Valley National Park and overnight in Furnace Creek. (160 to 190)
    Are you staying at the Ranch or the Inn? If not the Inn, be sure to stop by the bar and either enjoy some of the best single malts in the area or have a bit of tea-- great views from the lobby and bar area!
    Day 7 Leave Furnace Creek and head to Yosemite and plan to stay near Fish Camp. Stay in Yosemite for 2 days (190 - 136 - US-395 - 120)
    Be sure to stop in at the Panamint Springs and have a sandwich and marvel at the size of the redwood burl bar!
    Day 10 Leave Yosemite. Had planned to travel to San Francisco but read about some people visiting Monterey and was wondering if this would be worth a visit for a day before travelling up to San Francisco. (Travel from here??)
    Absolutely -- great views all the way up the coast. Here are some tips about this area (scroll down this thread and look for my last posts).

Also, be sure to look at the bottom of this page for similar threads.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-13-2007 at 01:48 PM.