1. Default Route 50 cross country

Hi everyone. I am planning a summer cross country trip via route 50. Has anyone here done that trip? I have a few questions.
    What is the average speed limit on rt 50?
    What is the distance between Ocean City and Cincinnati? Is it do-able in one day? We plan to do some hard driving the first few days since that part of the country is close and familiar to us already.
    I would love to hear from anyone who has driven this road from coast to coast. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Tucson, AZ

Default Us-50

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Oh, the average speed on US-50 is probably 47.824 mph. Seriously, though, it's hard to say and I'm sure no one has computed it. For the most part, when it is on city streets through DC, Cincinnati, St Louis, Kansas City, and Sacramento, the speed limit is 25 mph, where it's two-lane blacktop through the Rockies it's probably 45, and between Annapolis and Washington it's 70. If I were to make my best guess on what you might average in real life over the long haul, it would be somewhere around 47 mph.

From Ocean City to Cincinnati is on the order of 650 miles and you will not be able to make this in a day. You're looking at probably 13-14 hours of on-the-road time, NOT counting delays at the Bay Bridge, getting through DC (I'm assuming you really mean to follow US-50 down New York Avenue and not 'cheat' by using the beltway.), and over the Appalachians.

I haven't driven the entire thing from end to end as you plan to, but have done quite a bit of it in more manageable bites along it's length. I think you're in for a great, if exhausting, time. What I really hope is that you give the road as much time as it deserves and you'll need to enjoy it. I would think that this would be on the order of 2 weeks one way. If your web searches haven't turned it up yet, here's a pretty good description of what's available along the way.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default An alternative

Quote Originally Posted by summergirl85 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am planning a summer cross country trip via route 50.
    US-50 is a great route, but there is one I really, really want to do and you might find it interesting as well. It is the first continental highway and part of it was never paved.... It is the Lincoln Highway and you can learn more about it here.