1. Default Road trip to Fossil and Antelope

I'm planning a roadtrip, leaving from SW Washington, to eastern/central OR. Interested in doing some looking around Fossil for...what else, fossils; and going to Antelope to check out the remnants of the Baghwan fiasco that happened there. Any pointers or advice?

Thanks in advance

Tucson, AZ

Default Inland Northwest Free Treasures

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, if I were thinking about a trip in that neck of the woods, with an interest in geology and history, a couple of the general resources I'd be checking out would be the Blue Mountain Scenic Byway and the Columbia River Gorge. And best of all, both of these are on public lands!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Would this be the Rajneeshpuram site?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
    going to Antelope to check out the remnants of the Baghwan fiasco
    I am assuming you are referring to the Rajneeshpuram site once led/managed/destroyed/etc by Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh? I am reasonably sure that the former ranch is still privately held and off-limits to casual visitors. As you probably know, this cult led by Rajneesh did little to make themselves popular with the surrounding residents and I don't think it would be prudent to wander around there.

On the other hand, the south fork of the John Day River is gorgeous and driving around those roads close to US-395 is very rewarding. I have been close to the John Day Fossil Beds, but never spent much time up there.

In fact, I would love to have a field report if someone zig-zagged their way through that area!