Default Michigan to Alaska by Motorcycle

This thread was intended to be posted by new member "motorcyclecouple"

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclecouple
    Hi, we are planning a roadtrip by motorcycles from Michigan to Alaska the first of June. Anyone made this trip and have suggestions on Roads to take through Canada and Alaska?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-12-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Memo was sent by private message and re-published here by Editor

Default How long will this trip be?

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Will this be two motorcycles or more or less? How long are you planning to be on the road? You might find this product review about a motorcycle-sized tent useful. Wow, sounds like a great adventure.

Mark

3. Default

Mich to alaska, Made the trip from Toledo to Anchorage , 2006, early summer ,super trip. What do you need to know. J. Clark , Anchorage , Alaska

[Editor's Note: Hi , any stray questions on riding to Alaska that no one is able to get addressed ,I might be able to give them some sort of a candid answer. Alaska since the early 60s with many trips over the road. 1st in 1950. (only two by motorcycle, 2003 and 2006) j .clark ]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-04-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added info about J.Clark

Default What kind of bike?

Quote Originally Posted by jclark View Post
    Mich to alaska, Made the trip from Toledo to Anchorage , 2006, early summer ,super trip. What do you need to know. J. Clark , Anchorage , Alaska
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! How long was the ride? What kind of bike? What memories stand out?

Mark

5. Default

Mark, I made the trip in late may 2006. Purchased a new 650 v strom in toledo via phone. Flew down from anchorage with my givi boxes.The dealer had installed the givi racks. Ran from toledo down to below nashville, tenn. Repacked my gear at our daughters then headed for anchorage thru sioux falls, rapid city, helena to sand point idaho thru lake louise, Jasper nat park , to grande prairie via hwy 4 then to dawson creek and on home. It took 12 days from nashville to anchorage. pitched a tent every night. Not enough time for the trip so had to cover more ground sooner than i would have liked. No problem with the bike or ay of my gear. Really like the v strom. waiting for our roads to become ice free up here. have 9 thousand miles on the bike .other than dropping it twice all has gone well. hit a wide cross section of weather on the trip. roads were not bad ,saw lots of wild game and generally had a great ride. A little back ground . Have only had my bike licence for 4 short alaskan summers. So still have lots to learn .Started late in the game ,got my licence at 72 . Should have gotten one a long time ago .. take care ... J clark

Default You dropped the 650 twice?

Quote Originally Posted by jclark View Post
    Really like the v strom. waiting for our roads to become ice free up here. have 9 thousand miles on the bike .other than dropping it twice all has gone well
    Yikes! That sounds pretty extreme!
    So still have lots to learn .Started late in the game ,got my licence at 72 . Should have gotten one a long time ago .. take care ...
    What are your favorite rides within one travel day of Anchorage?

Mark

7. Default

Any one riding out of anchorage for a 300 mile trip should consider , anchorage to seward with stops at girdwood ak with a trip up the tram. then on to seward ak. about a 120 mile trip. I think its in the top 10 scenic hwys or should be. Anch to delta junction via the richardson hwy is great and anch to valdez is hard to beat. all three have outstanding scenery especially seward trip and valdez. Both will come closest to what you might expect of alaska,tho the whole road system is great. Anch to Fbks via the parks highway to me is so so and not as mind bending excepting the trip into Denali nat park with the bus ride into the park. jclare