1. Default NYC to LA in a RV?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but hey there is a fantastic amount of good information on this site. Well done you guys!

First up, the wife and I are selling up here (England) and heading to Aus to have another adventure! We've got 5 kids (15, 14, 13, 13, 10). We thought it would be fantastic to rent an RV and drive accross the states. We thought we'd spend 3 weeks doing this. So I've been searching the net to try and find some info on this plan.

Got some questions (I'm sure the answer to is somewhere on this site:

a) Can anyone provide links or names for RV rental? Ideally, hire in NYC and drop off vehicle in LA.

b) Any suggestions on routes accross the states?

Any hints and ideas you've got would be appreciated. Once again - fantastic site!

Greg

Default Glad You're Passing Through!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Just in case you haven't found them yet, we have many articles on RVing. In particular, check out this one on how to check out your RV before driving off the lot. I'm afraid I don't know any companies that deal in renting RVs, but someone else might.

As far as a general route, I'm going to suggest for starters that you look at I-80 west out of New York to I-81 south to I-40 west and finish with I-15 south into Los Angeles. That's an all Interstate route that takes you through some very nice country and close to natural attractions like Great Smoky Mountain National Park and the Grand Canyon as well as within striking distance of some of our great tourist cities such as Washington, Memphis and Las Vegas. But your final route will be up to you and your family. Get yourself a good, large map of the US, and start highlighting places you'd like to see. Pretty soon a pattern will emerge and it should be fairly obvious which roads to use and which sights you'll be able to see, and which will, unfortunately, have to wait until another day.

AZBuck

Default What is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Kiwi View Post
    I'm new to this forum but hey there is a fantastic amount of good information on this site
    Thanks!
    a) Can anyone provide links or names for RV rental? Ideally, hire in NYC and drop off vehicle in LA.
    Here are a couple of articles that discuss the wherefores and tips for renting a RV. The first one provides a good primer and overview (and links to the best rental companies we know). The second one is included because you might wish to become one of the writer's clients. His company provides door-to-door management of RV vacations and while his services are not inexpensive, you might find them compelling. And here is a third article -- that might not really apply to your situation -- but it still might be interesting to you.

Mark