Default LA to the Redwoods -- Seven Day Roundtrip

Hi,

I've been reading the forum for quite a while and but it's my first time posting here. Yeah, because I'm goin to a road trip with 2 friends at the end of March. (It is now a 7 day trip)

Here is my plan so far..
    Day 1 San Jose --> Napa --> Redding
    Day 2 Redding --> Crater Lake --> Crescent City
    Day 3 Crescent City --> Redwood NP --> Eureka
    Day 4 Eureka --> Fort Bragg --> Mendocino --> Point Reyes NS
    --> San Jose

Am I heading the right track?! I am not sure we should stay in Eureka or we can go drive faster/ longer and make it to Fort Bragg on the 3rd day. I am also thinking to do this trip reverse. Did I miss any point of interest along the way?! Or you've even better route suggestion?!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-06-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Revised title to reflect new trip

Default I would just do the redwoods!

Quote Originally Posted by bUbBLe View Post
    I've been reading the forum for quite a while and but it's my first time posting here.
    Well, welcome as a poster to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Thanks for making the leap from a lurker to a poster.
    Day 1 San Jose --> Napa --> Redding
    Day 2 Redding --> Crater Lake --> Crescent City
    Day 4 Eureka --> Fort Bragg --> Mendocino --> Point Reyes NS
    --> San Jose
    All of those places are very special, but I think given your time, you would be better suited to drop Crater Lake from this trip. Crater Lake is awesome, but I just don't see how you can include on Day Two.

What I would do is take CA-299 from Redding to Eureka and spend some time checking out those hidden spots along the Trinity River. It is gorgeous country and you will really enjoy it. And then I would spend two days in Eureka. It is a fun college town with some great murals. You could do several day trips up along the coast and cruise around the Redwood NP. Here are some of my favorite places in the Eureka area -- Avenue of the Giants, & the Newton Drury Parkway.

The drive between Eureka and Mendocino is a long day (about eight hours) there are several sections where a top speed of 35 mph is the best you can do -- but it is all very scenic. If you like vegetarian fare -- the Ravens is a favorite in Mendocino.

The rest of the drive is great!

Mark

Default LA to/ from Redwood in 7 Days

Thank you for your suggestions. Sadly my last trip doesn’t work out at the end. So I am planning another one in June, but this time we’re driving up from LA. I’ll be with my parents and little brother instead of with friends. I’ve a week this time, not planning to stay or stop by anywhere in between LA and SF.

Day 1 Los Angeles --> Redding
    Day 2 Redding --> Mt. Shasta --> Crescent City
    Day 4 Eureka --> Mendocino
    Day 5 Mendocino --> San Francisco
    Day 6 San Francisco
    Day 7 San Francisco --> Los Angeles

I dropped Crater Lake off the plan as you might notice. Also, as this trip is with my parents, so there'll be no camping and hiking. Just want to make it a relax family trip.

Thanks again.

Default LA to/ from Redwood NP in a Week

Just to make it clear, I am going from Los Angeles to/ from Northern California for 7 days/ 6 nights with my little brother and parents. We'll be goin around 6/20. As we did a road trip along the PCH to San Francisco two year ago, we’re not planning to stop by anywhere between Los Angeles and San Francisco. I would love to go to Napa, but I’ve to drop it off my list because my little brother is underage.

So I am in the process for tracking the route and where to go/ stop for each day. Several problems and questions came up.

Here is my plan so far, please advise.

Day 1, drive from Los Angeles (I- 5) and stay in Redding at night.

Day 2, I dropped Mt. Shasta off my plan because I don’t think I’ll have enough time. I would like to check out the Sundial bridge in Redding early in the morning then taking CA-299 to the Redwood area. From what I know, it’s a 3 hours drive. I want to take 101 all the way up to Crescent City and stay there for a night. I am wondering is it worth to go to Crescent City, anything special up there?! I am afraid it’ll be too far.

Day 3, leave Crescent City and drive back down South. I’ll take the Newton Drury Scenic Parkway as Editor suggested. I think I’ll stop by Trinidad. What else I shouldn’t miss?! Anything interesting in Klamath?! I’ll check out Klamath overlook. But Trees of Mystery sounds a bit touristy for me. I’ll stay at Eureka at night. I am looking for a short hike, somewhere around 0.5 to 1 miles as my parents can’t hike long distance.

Day 4, continue towards South. I want to take the CA-211/ Mattole Road instead of 101, am I crazy?! Arrive Humboldt. Drive the Avenue of the Giant. Stay at Fort Bragg or Mendocino at night. I am wondering how many hours I’ve to drive on this day?! Is it possible?!

Day 5, take 1 down South. Is Point Reyes National Seashore a must visit?! Arrive San Francisco. My second favorite city in the world ;)

Day 6, San Francisco. My parents want to spend the day in the city.

Day 7, take I- 5 back to Los Angeles.

I need some recommendation for B& B or cabin to stay along the trip.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-27-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Merged with Previous Posts on Same Trip & added link and fixed typo

Default Pretty nice plan

Quote Originally Posted by bUbBLe View Post
    Day 1, drive from Los Angeles (I- 5) and stay in Redding at night.
    This first day is a 600+ mile jaunt -- which is OK for a first day in the saddle, but I don't think you will be leaving very early on the second day after 10+ hours in the car together!
    Day 2, ... then taking CA-299 to the Redwood area. From what I know, it’s a 3 hours drive.
    Redding to Eureka (joining US-101) is about 150 miles, but the online estimates are just flat wrong on this stretch. Due to the 50-year slide zone, you will have to creep around the construction work and this road is flat-out gorgeous as it weaves along the Trinity River. You just have to stop and look at the river views when you reach Burnt River -- this is prime time for rafting and you might see some incredible runs. You should allow at least four hours for this section! I have driven it under 3 hours (but I was going way, way above the speed limit and I had a lead radio car relaying traffic conditions to me....)
    I want to take 101 all the way up to Crescent City and stay there for a night. I am wondering is it worth to go to Crescent City, anything special up there?! I am afraid it’ll be too far.
    I think it reasonable to reach Crescent City, because you will do the Redwood NP on the way south?
    Day 3, leave Crescent City and drive back down South. I’ll take the Newton Drury Scenic Parkway as Editor suggested. I think I’ll stop by Trinidad. What else I shouldn’t miss?! Anything interesting in Klamath?! I’ll check out Klamath overlook.
    Well, spend a couple of hours in the national park.
    But Trees of Mystery sounds a bit touristy for me.
    If you like tourist traps -- it is OK.
    I’ll stay at Eureka at night
    I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express in McKinleyville -- nicely run!
    I am looking for a short hike, somewhere around 0.5 to 1 miles as my parents can’t hike long distance.
    The Azalea state reserve park is right near by and has pretty walking trails. Another place you really ought to consider for dinner is the Samoa Cookhouse
    Day 4, continue towards South. I want to take the CA-211/ Mattole Road instead of 101, am I crazy?!
    That sounds really cool -- I have never been on that road -- I want to hear about it!
    Arrive Humboldt. Drive the Avenue of the Giants. Stay at Fort Bragg or Mendocino at night. I am wondering how many hours I’ve to drive on this day?! Is it possible?!
    It will be a longish day -- but certainly doable. It all comes down to how much time you spend walking in the groves -- and you have to that -- the trails are easy for your folks and there is nothing like walking in a redwood grove. I think this day could be ~ 8-10 hours of travel. Fort Bragg is a little less expensive than Mendocino -- but Mendocino is really fun to wander in. If lodging expense is not a problem -- my favorite Inn is in Mendocino (but it a little pricey) Fools Rush Inn is a good value at about 1/4 of the price of the Stanford Inn....
    Day 5, take 1 down South. Is Point Reyes National Seashore a must visit?! Arrive San Francisco. My second favorite city in the world ;)
    I like it -- much wilder than many places in the west -- rip tides in the winter create waves that are bigger going out to sea than in... but it is a little hard to see much from a car.

Looks like a great trip!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-27-2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: revised the time estimate on CA-299