Thread: Kings canyon

1. Default Kings canyon

Hi, we are two australians planning a 6 week road trip mainly in california but also dipping into nevada and arizona. After much research our itinerary is mostly sorted, I'm a little stuck on kings canyon however. Would be most grateful for advice on how realistic the following plan is..
    11th september drive from Cloverdale down to sequoia national park. plan to spend the night at sierra lodge, entering the park from.. I believe its highway 198. Plan to spend the day of the 12th driving up through the park into kings canyon.
    Does Highway 198 link into highway 180 from which we plan to exit the park? Is this do--able in a day in a normal sedan car?? Is it do-able on a tank of fuel.. I see there isn't anywhere to top up the tank in the park.
    We are having great difficulty locating somewhere to stay on exiting the park on highway 180. Is fresno too far? I have it at almost 2 hours from the park exit but don't know how accurate this is. Are there alternatives just outside the park along highway 180? We are on a budget for accommodation.

Very grateful for any assistance!
    for additional info, next stop after kings canyon nat. park is yosemite.
    Last edited by cazpark; 03-11-2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: additional info

Default Its all there

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You shouldn't have any problems with your actual visit to Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

Does Highway 198 link into highway 180 from which we plan to exit the park? Is this do--able in a day in a normal sedan car?? Is it do-able on a tank of fuel.. I see there isn't anywhere to top up the tank in the park.
    CA-198 turns into "The Generals Highway" as you enter Sequoia National Park from the south. The road basically does a loop through the Park, and ends when it meets CA-180. In other words, if you didn't look at any signs and stuck to the main road, CA-198 basically becomes CA-180, so that shouldn't be any problem.

The road itself it a well maintained 2 lane highway that is used my thousands of regular passenger cars every year. You should have no problems with a sedan.

While there is no gas in the park, there may be a place to fill up along the road that takes you back into Kings Canyon. However, if you fill up just before you enter the park, you really shouldn't be in any danger of running out of fuel. Again, this is a trip that thousands do every year, so there's got to be a way that everyone else does it!

We are having great difficulty locating somewhere to stay on exiting the park on highway 180. Is fresno too far? I have it at almost 2 hours from the park exit but don't know how accurate this is.
    I don't think that Fresno would necessarily be too far. But then again, the last time I visited Sequoia (skipping Kings Canyon) I did it as a day trip from Bakersfield. I suspect there would be some lodging options along CA-180, but its been awhile since I drove that road I just don't remember what is available for lodging.

3. Default thankyou

Thank you so much. Feel reassured!!

Default Wanna do a zig-zag?

Quote Originally Posted by cazpark View Post
    but also dipping into nevada and arizona.
    Would you be up for a zig-zag approach to Yosemite? If so, when you leave Kings Canyon you can follow the route in this post and then go north on US-395 to Tioga Pass into Yosemite. By the way, here is another field report about Sequoia.

Mark

5. Default tioga

Hi, i believe we will be seeing tioga on our way to death valley. At this point we plan to go from cloverdale to sierra lodge to spend the night. spend day going into sequoia from the south then out through north exit and drive up to madera to stay in a cheap motel then head to yosemite. We are booking 2 nights at housekeeping camp yosemite followed by 2 nights at tuolume meadows before heading to vegas via a night at furnace creek, death valley.
    We are really lucky to have 6 weeks to drive around. start in LA.. up the coast road for few days into san fran for 5 nights, napa valley/cloverdale down to sequoia... yosemite.... death valley to vegas then up to cedar city as a base to look into bryce/zion... onto the north rim (i've been to south rim but hear the north rim is spectacular and less populated).. onto mexican hat to take in monument valley. We're then onto tucson via sedon which i loved last time i visited and can't wait to share with my travelling partner. From 5 nights in tucson we head to san diego for 5 nights then back to return car in LA.
    We are very open to suggestions and tips for the way along!! I visited USA in 1999/2000 when I spent time working on the rosebud lakota sioux reservation and travelled a little into california/arizona and have looked forward to coming back ever since. Yours is a truly beautiful & diverse country!