1. Default Is my itinenary realistic?

Hi there !

I'm from Denmark and planning a vacation/road trip with my wife in September or next spring. The trip will start and end in San Francisco and take around 16 days.

So far I have come up with this itinenary:

Day 1: Arrive in San Francisco
    Day 2: San Francisco
    Day 3: San Francisco
    Day 4: San Francisco
    Day 5: Drive San Francisco - Los Angeles (via Highway 1)
    Day 6: Los Angeles
    Day 7: Los Angeles
    Day 8: Los Angeles
    Day 9: Drive Los Angeles - Grand Canyon
    Day 10: Drive Grand Canyon - Monument Valley/Kayenta
    Day 11: Drive Monument Valley/Kayenta - Bryce Canyon
    Day 12: Drive Bryce Canyon - Zion NP - Las Vegas
    Day 13: Las Vegas
    Day 14: Drive Las Vegas - Death Valley NP - Yosemite NP
    Day 15: Drive Yosemite NP - San Francisco
    Day 16: Depart

#1 I know that especially day 5, 9 and 14 will be long driving. Has anyone done any of does routes in one day?

#2 Are the planned visits good sugestions for my wife, who is a first time visitor in US? Or are there other places in the areas that will be a better choice to see?

#3 As for the park visits - especially Bryce, Zion and Yosemite - are they good for just driving around in a car. We are not into hiking, so we'll just want a few good watching places we can get to by car or just a small walk. And then just driving around the park(s).

Thanks
    Last edited by Paposa; 03-11-2007 at 05:53 AM.

I'm thinking that you might want to take a look at day 5 and day 14 and possibly take a little more time to do those two journeys. The Pacific Coast Highway can be done in a day but it really is a fantastic drive and deserves a little more time if this is possible.

Similarly, Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley and the Tioga Pass (presuming that you are doing the trip in September as this route will be closed in Spring) will really require more time than you have allowed. Death Valley is a fantastic place to visit and you'll want to spend at least half a day exploring. Then you'll probably want to visit Mono Lake and possibly the ghost town at Bodie.

Yosemite is really enjoyable, even by car, we did exactly that when we visited. When it comes to Zion, you are unable to drive your car into the majority of the park, but there is a free bus that runs regularly through the park. I actually thought this was a superb way to do it, far better than letting us all drive our cars wherever we wanted, and the buses run almost non-stop. Oh, and you get a commentary from a park guide too.

It all comes down to personal preference but, if you ask me, you're maybe focusing too much on the cities. I would personally steal a day back from each of San Francisco and Los Angeles and spend more time exploring the natural wonders of the area.

Default PCH and more

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm pretty much in agreement with Craig. Yes, you can make all of those drives in a day, but you could be missing out on a lot with this current plan.

The PCH stretch is really the most troubling. Route 1 is a route that needs to be enjoyed at a relaxing pace - the traffic and terrain keep it from being anything else - and you're going to try to rush through it. I would really advise taking a second day here, but if you are only going to give it one day, then you need to take US-101 (not the coast route) for most of the trip. If you stick to the freeway from SF to Montery, you can follow the coast down through the big sur section, and then pick up US-101 again in the San Luis Obispo area.

The other long days to Grand Canyon and Yosemite aren't that bad, but since you are planning to leave again the next day, you aren't giving yourself a whole lot of time to explore those places. They are both feasable, but you could feel pretty rushed here too.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Antill View Post
    Similarly, Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley and the Tioga Pass (presuming that you are doing the trip in September as this route will be closed in Spring) will really require more time than you have allowed. Death Valley is a fantastic place to visit and you'll want to spend at least half a day exploring. Then you'll probably want to visit Mono Lake and possibly the ghost town at Bodie.
    Hi Craig ! Thanks alot for your feedback. I must admit, I'm not familiar with Mono Lake. What and where is that? I didn't know that the road is closed during spring. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Antill View Post
    Yosemite is really enjoyable, even by car, we did exactly that when we visited. When it comes to Zion, you are unable to drive your car into the majority of the park, but there is a free bus that runs regularly through the park. I actually thought this was a superb way to do it, far better than letting us all drive our cars wherever we wanted, and the buses run almost non-stop. Oh, and you get a commentary from a park guide too.
    Didn't know about the bus service. Sounds like a great way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    The PCH stretch is really the most troubling. Route 1 is a route that needs to be enjoyed at a relaxing pace - the traffic and terrain keep it from being anything else - and you're going to try to rush through it. I would really advise taking a second day here, but if you are only going to give it one day, then you need to take US-101 (not the coast route) for most of the trip. If you stick to the freeway from SF to Montery, you can follow the coast down through the big sur section, and then pick up US-101 again in the San Luis Obispo area.
    Thanks Michael ! If we were to take an overnight stop along Highway 1. Where would be a good place to do so?

The reason for the long stretches of driving, is that I wanted to limit the number of driving days. Rather one long day than two days of driving, if you know what I mean. I know that, that won't give us long time at places like Grand Canyon and Yosemite. As for Grand Canyon I'm planning to see that during a sun rise, and I guess that would be just fine for me.

But I don't know - maybe I must rethink my preferences..