Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Lafayette, LA to Phoenix, AZ

I'd like to leave Lafayette on a Tuesday morning and make it to Phoenix, AZ by Thursday evening. I know that could be a mess. But does anyone have ideas of places to go in Texas and New Mexico?

Default 1400 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by mopeterson View Post
    I'd like to leave Lafayette on a Tuesday morning and make it to Phoenix, AZ by Thursday evening
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! By the shortest possible route, that is 1400 miles and will require three full days of driving. You don't have much time for sightseeing!

Mark

3. Default

Hey there.
    Where will you be staying in Phoenix?

....however, there are some very nice places such as Old Town Scottsdale,
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-10-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: You have to be specific with advice -- Good Neighbor Rules

Default It's Doable

I made it from Shreveport to Phoenix in two days, but there was no sight seeing involved. Just lots of driving.

However, I think that those are some of the most beautiful landscapes and thoroughly enjoyed just driving rather than stopping and doing.

Laura

Default Along the Way

Mark is right that in order to cover 1400 miles in three days you won't have a lot of time for sightseeing, but you will have some. And getting out of your car for the odd hour or so of hiking, exploring, or just window shopping can be a great restorative and certainly helps keep you alert, rested, and safer for your drive. The trick, then, is to find great places that are close to your route, in your case I-10, that give you a chance to do something other than sit behind the wheel and stare at the highway. There are such places everywhere, despite what some people might say.

On your first day. you can make use of what I repeatedly refer to as one of the most under-utilized segments of America's public lands with a visit to the Attwater Prairie Chicken National Wildlife Refuge about 50 miles west of Houston. Check out the visitor's center and hike one or more of the short (1-2 mile) trails. In other words, take a welcome break from driving.

On day two, you've got a few possibilities including hikes at the Caverns of Sonora and Fort Lancaster State Historic Park, or a swim in the artesian fed pool at Balmorhea State Park.

Finally, on your last day on the road, a couple of great stops to introduce you to the desert southwest would be the Chiricahua National Monument in eastern Arizona and either the Saguaro National Park or the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum near Tucson.

AZBuck

Default What was your average speed?

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    I made it from Shreveport to Phoenix in two days,
    Laura, how many speeding tickets have you earned?

Mark

Default Always on the hunt for....

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    There are such places everywhere, despite what some people might say.
    Absolutely, I have driven several hundred thousand miles in recent years, and I have never found a single place in America that could truly be called "boring" or even "un-interesting." Even if you drove the same stretch of road every day for 100 years, (which would be a good trick) it would always be different and interesting because the weather is different, and the driver's state of mind is different. I really like driving through small towns and "under-developed sections" because I am always on the hunt for funny road signs. If you YOU find one - please take a photo and submit it to us!

Mark

8. Default thanks AZBuck

I'm glad to hear about the NWR, especially. I'll report back if I run across anything great.

Default Knock on Wood - No Speeding Tickets

I'm just really insane and drove for way too many hours to get to Phoenix.

We won't discuss when I made it from LA to Shreveport in 2 1/2 days once. And then I stayed up all that night reading the latest Harry Potter book that had arrived in my absence. Needless to say I was no good at work for the next week.

Laura

Laura, with all due respect, I have to say it sounds like you went 95+ mph the whole way thru 1-10...and it concerns me. I've driven west on your route many times, full moons, daytime, etc < snip >... You never know when a trucker will drift into your lane, a piece of something may fall off a truck or car ahead of you. These distances and your tight time give you no room for rested responses, breaks, or the kind of sharpness one needs on such long, stretches of highway.

I appreciate that you get there, but you scare the heck out of me at the same time, I hope I'm not on the not on the same highway! Add another day and slow the heck down and drive aware. < snip >
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-09-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Dialing back the rhetoric a little bit <some comments removed >