1. Default Where to go

Hey guys. I'm brand new!! Anyway, I just needed help with where to go, what to see...

I'm a 22 year old college student who does not have a lot of cash. I need to get out over spring break and get away from the school setting and the area I've been living. I'm in Dayton, Ohio and want to know any surrounding places of interest. I find myself liking old stuff, stuff that's been around forever ("haunted places", abandoned towns, worldy wonders (things manmade or the earth has made itself, scenery)), and basically anything worth sight-seeing. I figured it might be a good time just to explore a little bit of the country. I would prefer to go east or west. I have been up north and down south a few times. I wanted to experience something different over break and though that this might be a cheap way to get away for a while. I'd be traveling with my girlfriend who is 21. Oh, yea... I like dining out, not too expensive, though!! Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to go, what to see, things like that. I've read some of the tips you guys have gave, and it seems pretty helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Oops!!! I guess Dayton would be southwest!! Please God, don't let me get lost!!!!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-08-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Default I am guessing you have about a week?

Quote Originally Posted by tigris View Post
    I just needed help with where to go, what to see...
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum
    I would prefer to go east or west. I have been up north and down south a few times. I wanted to experience something different over break and though that this might be a cheap way to get away for a while.
    Well, the Arch at St. Louis is pretty cool and then you could drive as far south on the Great River Road as you wanted to go. Or you could go check your druid watch at the Rolla, Missouri reproduction of Stonehenge. Seriously, you would need to give us a couple more parameters regarding what interests you.

Mark

3. Default Great River Road and Beyond

what's the great river road?

thanks for replying.

the stonehenge thing sounds interesting. one day ill make it over there and see the real one ;)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-12-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: continuation of previous post

Default Other directions too

what's the great river road?
    It is the collection of roads that sort of follow the Mississippi River all the way to gulf of Mexico. Here is a site that we have used when exploring some of it. Here is a field report from a recent trip down part of it.

Here is a thread with several suggestions that might work for you.

Mark

I'm in Dayton, Ohio and want to know any surrounding places of interest. I find myself liking old stuff, stuff that's been around forever ("haunted places", abandoned towns, worldy wonders (things manmade or the earth has made itself, scenery)), and basically anything worth sight-seeing. I figured it might be a good time just to explore a little bit of the country. I would prefer to go east or west.
    Hi Tigris,

You could head southeast to Gallipolis, Ohio and cross the Ohio river into Point Pleasant, West Virginia (140 miles). This is an interesting/quirky area, home of The Mothman , The Curse of Cornstalk and The Silver Bridge Disaster.

From there you could head further southeast and travel to the Skyline Drive and Endless Caverns or, instead, travel a bit northeast through the mountains in Western Maryland with a stop at Cunningham Falls and the Catoctin Mountains (home of Camp David) before heading a short distance north to Gettysburg. In addition to the obvious Gettysburg attractions, there are a lot of haunted places there like Devil's Den and the Jenny Wade house.

This whole trip would be a bit over 1000 miles (round trip) and provide a nice mix of history, scenery and haunted/weird stuff. All these areas have inexpensive lodging options and Gettysburg has some nice restaurants and a pretty good nightlife scene, if you're into that.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great trip!

Pam