1. Default Taking Mom to Northern Ca Coast from Sacramento

Hi. This is my first posting. I am taking my 82 year old mother into Sacramento airport and then off to final destination of redwoods (I guess Cresent City or so the map says). Anyway, we are there from end of April to beginning of May (about 10 days) and I want her to see coast and redwoods and as much in between that would be of interest to her. She is limited as far as long distances walking but can handle things in small doses. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me with my venture! I want to make the most of it for her and would love to hear about pitstops over several days to get there and back. Thank you all ahead of time for your help! (she was to San Franciso about 10 years ago and although it was breathtaking, she'd like to see what she hasn't seen yet.)

Default Avenue of the Giants

Quote Originally Posted by diane rosy View Post
    I am taking my 82 year old mother into Sacramento airport and then off to final destination of redwoods
    Actually you can see redwoods just outside of San Francisco, but since you are headed up the coast -- be sure to drive the side roads into the Avenue of the Giants.

This Forum has several dozen posts about northern California coastal routes and destinations. Here is a good thread to get started. And then be sure to look at the bottom of each page for similar posts.

Mark

3. Default california coast/redwood attractions walking difficulities

Hi. Thanks for sending me those wonderful links. However, I am still looking at some imput as to how difficult it is regarding walking around on the coastal areas of CA and up to redwoods like the Trees of Mystery. I would love to go there but don't know if Mom (82) can handle the walking part of the trek. Any advise before I get her somewhere she won't be able to handle. She'll make me get out anyway or she'll sit on a bench and make me walk around so I dont' miss out. And of course, that's not why I'm taking her. Hopefully someone 'seasoned by age' will read this and be able to give me some insight. Thanks again for the help so far......This is a wonderful tool to have!

Default Benches and nice paths

Quote Originally Posted by diane rosy View Post
    However, I am still looking at some imput as to how difficult it is regarding walking around on the coastal areas of CA and up to redwoods like the Trees of Mystery.
    The "Trees of Mystery" is a tourist-attraction (trap) -- I am sure it is fine. But there is no particular reason to pay for what you can find for free in the parks. In particular, the walks in the Avenue of the Giants offer plenty of places to pause and sit on the benches.
    Hopefully someone 'seasoned by age' will read this and be able to give me some insight.
    The other thing to remember is that any park administrated by the National Park Service will have trails that were designed to be used by "age-seasoned citizens".

My parents are both in their 80's and I would have no concerns about taking them in these places. There are always more challenging trails -- but they are clearly marked.

Here is some accessibility info for the Redwood National Park.

Mark