1. Default New York - Boston buses

Hello

Next summer, ill be finishing up my holiday around the US in NY and Boston. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what buses are available for me to take to get from NY to Boston and at what cost. Im also interested to know if all or some of these buses go through Connecticut and Rhode Island. Im trying to get to as many states as possible, and passing through these states will satisfy me.

Thanks

James

Default Busses Through New England

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are only one and a half national bus lines in America. The 'one' is Greyhound which is a fully integrated bus company and does offer service from New York to Boston for $25-32. There are a few different routes that you can opt for: all go through Connecticut and one even goes through Rhode Island. The 'half' is Trailways which is actually a collection of local bus companies with connecting service between them. It is possible to get from New York to Boston using this company, but will take some poking around on your part through each of the individual companies' web sites.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for yor help. Ive just come across a few web sites advertising NY-Boston Chinatown bus services. They appear to be quite cheap. Are these routes safe as I'd be a little wary going to chinatown. Also do these routes go through Rhode Island as well as Connecticut? The websites dont seem to give any route maps.

Thanks

James

Default Rail Options

I would urge you to also look into Amtrak's train service. Rail service on the Boston-NY-DC corridor is quite good, and will likely be much faster and possibly just as cheap as bus service.

I'm not aware of what the "chinatown" buses you've found, but I would be someone skeptical. The links Buck provided are really the only 2 regular passenger bus services in the US, while what you found might be a perfectly acceptable Charter Bus company offering a special deal, I certainly wouldn't recommend it without knowing more about it.

Default Also try

You can also try Peter Pan Bus. They're out of Springfield, MA, but I was just looking through the routes they have listed, and they appear to work with several affiliated bus lines (such as Greyhound). You could go from New York to Providence, and then from there into Boston.

The trip from NY to Boston (Logan) is about $57.00. I don't know if that route goes through Rhode Island - I believe they go I-95, I-91, I-84, then I-90 to Boston.

Don't be so concerned about Chinatown. Twenty years ago, it was a pretty rough neighborhood, especially with the "Combat Zone" so close by. I think that if you haven't been to the area in a long time, you'll be surprised at how much it has changed.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-05-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Default Chinatown Busses

The point of these services is not necessarily that they operate from Chinatown to Chinatown, but that they operate on the margins (of profitability, legality, and safety). Here's an article from the Washington Post that addresses your concerns.

AZBuck

Default chinatown buses

hey, just about the chinatown buses...
    I took one from New york to Boston in 2005, it cost about $30 roundtrip. It only stopped once, think it was in Conneticut. It's about 4-5 hours, pretty cool. I've taken them to Philly and Washington also.

There are the risks with it, like safety, you hear some reports about them crashing. I'll dig up and see what bus company I used- because there are 'ify' ones. I never felt unsafe though, the drivers I had weren't tearing down the road and I arrived basically on time.

The station in new york is quite safe, there's always people waiting around for the bus, there's little chinese bakeries around, I quite like it, go early in the morning and see chinatown waking up :) around 7-ish.
    The station in Boston is South Station, very much like Port Authority in NYC, a transportation hub. very safe.

they do pass through a couple states, but you can't neccesarily get off, except for a fast food joint in the middle of nowhere :)

Default thanks for the local report

Quote Originally Posted by mikphire View Post
    The station in new york is quite safe, there's always people waiting around for the bus, there's little chinese bakeries around, I quite like it, go early in the morning and see chinatown waking up :) around 7-ish.
    The station in Boston is South Station, very much like Port Authority in NYC, a transportation hub. very safe.
    We appreciate the local intel!

Mark

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mikphire
    There are the risks with it, like safety, you hear some reports about them crashing. I'll dig up and see what bus company I used- because there are 'ify' ones. I never felt unsafe though, the drivers I had weren't tearing down the road and I arrived basically on time.
    If you could find out what bus company you used that would be great! Bit worried about the safety! Read an article that the bus drivers arent regularly alcohol and drug tested!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-11-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Fixed Formatting

Default No worries!

I used Lucky Star both ways. Here is a link to all the chinatown buses. What you can do is probaby google safety reports for the buses. I think it's basically safe, I've used them over a couple years and it's been decent. Never got in a crash or anything near it when I used it. It's like a normal long distance bus, trash bags by each seat, some loud talking passengers, toilet in the back. I would suggest that you bring some food for the road because they only make one stop, for about 15-20 minutes.
    It usually takes between 4-5 hours depending on traffic.

I would suggest, for you, to take it near rush hour- that way, the bus will go slower, especially near cities so you could at least take some pictures or see more than a fleeting glance(and it might be safer as it's slower :).
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-12-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Preferred Link Format