1. Default San Diego to Rocky Mountain NP

Hi,

We're planning on renting an RV this summar (early June) for a roadtrip. I was thinking of going from San Diego to the Rocky Mountains and back, with stops along the way at Las Vegas, Zion and Bryce and on the way back at the Grand Canyon. Just wanted to get some feedback on what would be a good timeframe to do such a trip - since we're renting, I was hoping to not do a trip longer than 10 days. Another other tips and suggestions for this route are welcome! Thanks.

- Raas

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

My first question would be - have you ever driven an RV before? I ask this because it may change your comfort level with how far you can drive over the course of a day - Rocky Mountain NP is
    a good hike from San Diego. However, I think that 10-12 days is a good amount of time to take this trip. I'm estimating the total round-trip distance at something near 2500 miles, giving allowances for driving around. That gives you an average of 225-250 miles a day, which is completely doable. It all depends on how much time you plan on spending in each area.

We have a guide to I-70 here. Definitely a nice ride. You have a very easy outbound route with I-15 and I-70.

You may also want to check out Arches and/or Canyonlands, either on your way out or your way back to Grand Canyon.

Default RV tips

Quote Originally Posted by Raas View Post
    We're planning on renting an RV this summar (early June) for a roadtrip.
    Here are two articles you ought to read about renting RVs and take this one with you when you go to pick-up the rental.

Mark

4. Default

Thanks for the tips folks!

This will be our 1st time renting an RV and so given the distance, I'm thinking maybe it's best to leave out the Rocky Mountains for now and just focus on Utah and the Grand Canyon.

Default Prudent decision

Quote Originally Posted by Raas View Post
    Thanks for the tips folks!

This will be our 1st time renting an RV and so given the distance, I'm thinking maybe it's best to leave out the Rocky Mountains for now and just focus on Utah and the Grand Canyon.
    This will definitely help you to become comfortable with the vehicle, and you'll have more time to explore the areas that you do get to see. Get out there and meander around a bit. I could spend weeks out there and be perfectly content.