Default Two weeks in August: East or South?

Hi everyone, this is a great site. I live in BC, Canada and have 2 weeks in August to blow on a road trip to nowhere in particular!

I've been east across Canada to the Quebec border and south to L.A. and Vegas and since this is my first major roadie in years, I'm trying to decide what's the best choice.

I'm going solo and have 14 days to spare, so I have a one-way limit of a week before doing a 180...I'm going to hit the I-5 to Seattle if I go south but at that point, east on I-90 to where? Or, south on I-5 to Cali and beyond?

As a Canadian, I've been to Cali, Vegas, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Chicago through the years...

Considering we're talking about the first 2 weeks in August, it will be nice and warm everywhere and I'm looking to hit the open road and soak it all in...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Default Sounds like heaven to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Hi everyone, this is a great site. I live in BC, Canada and have 2 weeks in August to blow on a road trip to nowhere in particular!
    I love such a trip! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. What a luxury -- 7 days in any direction and then head back home!
    I'm going solo and have 14 days to spare, so I have a one-way limit of a week before doing a 180...
    Let's see, let's throw some numbers up on the wall. If you drove flat-out for seven days, and drove 8-10 hours per day, you could cover 3200 miles, so on a speed run (which as solo driver is certifiable...) you could conceiveably almost do a complete circuit of the lower 48 states (~6400 miles) But, although that could be fun -- not very practical.

So, if I lived in BC and I had 14 days to wander in August, I would probably find a happy mix of travel and lounging around in beautiful places. Here is what I would do (we can do a better job if you provide a little more info about what kinds of thinks and places attract you):

Olympic Penisula: Check on the trolls at Sequim, Spend some time poking around Gray's Harbor and check out the coastline a bit, where I have never had sufficient time to poke around. Wander a bit along the Hood Canal and cruise US-101 all the way to its terminus.

and then I would speed run to San Francisco (not because I couldn't find months of road trip routes in between and plenty of places to explore) but I have always wanted to trace the Lincoln Highway and I would start in San Francisco and drive as far east as I could (given the days left) and then I would zig-zag my way home to BC, finding every road I have never traveled on before.

Not a perfect route... but an option.

Mark

3. Default Seriously.. flip a coin

If you're into a roadtrip for adventure.. flip a coin.

I've done this once or twice on a trip. Just knew the general direction I'd be heading, and everytime I stopped to get out of the car or get gas I'd flip a coin to see which way I'd go next.

* On average* you'd be going South East, which would take you towards Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and etc -- which are parts of the world you've never been to.