1. Default las vegas to san francisco

Hello everyone, we are a group of British guys and we're in Las Vegas for 2 weeks at the beginning of May 2007. During our stay we have decided to rent an RV,and see a bit of your beautiful country. Our plan is to leave Las Vegas and 6 days later, fly back from San Francisco to Las Vegas to complete our vacation.

During our 5 night/6 day trip, we would like to visit, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and Yosemite and spend 2 nights in San Francisco. Is it reasonable to do that, I have no idea of the mileage involved? Can anyone suggest a route, and any other things we should see on the way? And where would I find a list of suitable RV campsites on the route?

I understand that the Tioga Pass is likely to be closed at this time of year, so an alternative suggestion would be apreciated
    Thanks in anticipation for your help guys

Default Ding, Ding, Ding "Bonus Threads"

Quote Originally Posted by kalipol View Post
    Hello everyone, we are a group of British guys and we're in Las Vegas
    With apologies for being in "Vegas" too long, your thread title has landed directly one of the favorite topics here on this Forum. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! For some ideas about routes, be sure to look at the bottom of this page and also look at the second post in this thread.
    for 2 weeks at the beginning of May 2007. During our stay we have decided to rent an RV,and see a bit of your beautiful country.
    Here is some information that you might find helpful:
    1) How to rent a RV
    2) What do know about RV's when you pick one up for the first time
    3) Some tips about finding campgrounds for RVs
    4) An anti-poo tool you might wish to consider...
    During our 5 night/6 day trip, we would like to visit, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and Yosemite and spend 2 nights in San Francisco. Is it reasonable to do that, I have no idea of the mileage involved?
    It can be done and I would suggest you try one of the online planners (free), get a basic route and then return here for some more fine-tuning.

Mark

3. Default vegas to SF

Thanks for your reply, that has given me some things to research, I have had a quick look at the threads that you have suggested, but I have not seen a route anywhere that satisfies our criteria, ie to visit Yosemite, Napa Valley and Lake Tahoe en route from Vegas to SF. Could you suggest an order in which we should be visiting these places?

4. Default Grab a map and follow along...

Thanks for your reply, that has given me some things to research, I have had a quick look at the threads that you have suggested, but I have not seen a route anywhere that satisfies our criteria, ie to visit Yosemite, Napa Valley and Lake Tahoe en route from Vegas to SF. Could you suggest an order in which we should be visiting these places?
    Given your time constraints, you really only have one choice of routes..
    You've got 6 days and 5 nights, and you want to spend 2 nights in SF

Day 1 - LV to Yosemite (long driving day, but doable)
    Day 2 - Yosemite to Tahoe/ Reno
    Day 3 - Tahoe/ Reno to Napa Valley
    Day 4 - Napa Valley to SF.

Now, you can possibly combine the Napa Valley visit into one day, and continue on to SF that evening (its about 2 hours drive from Napa Valley to SF). But I'd encourage you to stay and have dinner in Napa and spend the night for a couple of reasons.. First, there are excellent restaurants in the Napa Valley. Secondly, you really don't want to be tackling the roads after tasting wines all day. California is really strict about DUI (Driving Under the Influence). You'll probably want to set up a designated driver anyway, if you're going tasting --

Another concern is how much time you want to spend on the road versus exploring somewhere. You'll only be in Yosemite a very short period of time -- and its somewhere that you want to spend a day hiking and photographing and looking at the sights. The route from there to Reno takes you through California's Gold Country, and again, how much time you spend stopping and looking around has to be traded against where you are going and what you want to do along the way.

5. Default vegas to SF

Thanks very much Larrison, that is really very helpful, and I am very grateful for your advice. We had no idea of the mileage involved, (it doesnt look far on a map hahaha), you contry is so much bigger than hours, we can drive from top to bottom in a day!

We dont really have any constraints during our trip, but we have to be at SF airport in time to catch the flight back to Vegas.

Is there lots of RV campsites on the way? Is it just a matter of pulling over and stopping, or do we need to plan it ahead and book the places for stopping, we would rather not do that if we dont have to, because then we are tied to our original plan.

What would we would like to do is have a brief outline of our itinery, but just do things as we find them and stop where we want. Is this practical in May? Are the roads likely to be snowbound? Can you hire sat nav?

Would be really grateful if anyone can help with these questions, thanks for your help

From our great country to your great country

Default Dozens of routes here

What would we would like to do is have a brief outline of our itinery,
    First, you need to choose your route -- Doing a road trip requires thought and time on your part. If you were to look at any of the threads I mentioned in my first post, you will find several hundred posts about possible routes. All of the trip planning programs provide detailed itineraries that you may use for your own planning purposes. I would suggest that you use the AAA planning program here.
    but just do things as we find them and stop where we want. Is this practical in May?
    This is the way I always recommend traveling.
    Are the roads likely to be snowbound?
    The roads you will be using -- it is extremely unlikely you will have much problem with snow.
    Can you hire sat nav?
    Sat Nav equipment is easily available - here is some info about that.
    Is there lots of RV campsites on the way? Is it just a matter of pulling over and stopping, or do we need to plan it ahead and book the places for stopping, we would rather not do that if we dont have to, because then we are tied to our original plan.
    Here is information about finding RV campgrounds. The purpose and mission of RTA is to provide idea, tips and resources that you can use to plan your own trip -- it works best if you spend some time doing that and then we can help you fine-tune the planned adventure.

Mark