Thread: VA to GA to LA

1. Default VA to GA to LA

Okay so I'm going from Richmond (VA) to Atlanta (GA) to New Orleans (LA). The trip is all planned out and I have hotels already booked in each city, but I was wondering if anyone knew any nice scenic routes on the way that weren't too out of the way. Also if anyone knows of any cool stuff to see on the way, that would also be really appreciated.

Default One a Day

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

You're going to be covering about 500 miles a day, which is a bit but does allow for the odd scenic detour and stop as long as they're not too far off your direct route. So what's available? On day 1, your best bet is the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Byway. This is nearly perfect for you as it leaves I-85 shortly after you enter South Carolina, follows a single highway (SC-11), bypasses Spartanburg and Greenville, and returns you to I-85. For day 2, take a look at a slightly more off-the-main-route drive that would leave Atlanta on I-20 rather than I-85 and then take the Talladega Scenic Drive down through the Talladega National Forest. This road starts out on AL-281, but you need to be sure to switch over to AL-49 near Cheaha State Park and then Al-9 at Lineville. Finally you'd use AL-22 to cut westward to join up with I-65 to take you into Montgomery and on to Mobile. Even the roads that are not part of the official scenic drive will be scenic.

As for 'cool stuff', that, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. There are revolutionary battlefields, NASCAR shrines, historic sites, and several different natural environments that you'll be passing through or near. People might be better able to offer advice if they knew what you mean by 'cool'

AZBuck

3. Default

The first route sounds good, but when I clicked on it, it seems like a lot of it relates to stopping and doing things. I personally love scenic routes where you can just drive and view amazing mountains, lakes and much more. Also a place to stop and look up at the stars would be ideal. Do you know of any places like that? Would this scenic route have that kind of stuff?

Thanks a lot for responding.

Default The Road is What You Make of It

Yes, there are a few things to do and/or see along any road and scenic roads are certainly no less endowed in this regard. However, you can simply drive the road without stopping and just enjoy the views. Here is another site describing the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Drive that includes pictures. I'd be hard pressed to recommend a road more scenic than this.

As for a spot to look at the stars, you indicated that you would be stopping for the night in Atlanta. That's not an ideal spot for star gazing due to the large amount of light pollution. But there are a couple of great spots while you're in New Orleans. One is to cross Lake Pontchartrain on the Causeway, a treat in itself, and then head for the beach at Fontainebleau State Park. The other would be to head southeast on LA-23 down the Mississippi Delta and just pick a spot away from civilization.

AZBuck

Thanks for that advice, AZBuck, there's a couple of things there that I'll be trying to incorporate into my own trip in April. Cheers!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-23-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added link to Craig's thread -- lots of good info there too!