Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Northern Arizona

I am back from my 5 day trip to Arizona. An out-of-the-world experience to the Grand Canyon state. There is a lot more to AZ than just the Grand Canyon.

My long long wish of seeing the London Bridge @ Lake Havasu city came true(Thanks Mark! I got amazing pictures at dawn).

Route 66 was just amazing. We could not stay at wigwam, Holbrook(all booked), but snapped some shots there. Real cool! Holbrook is a neat little town. Loved the place. Standing at the corner, Winslow was cool too!

Also managed to cover Petrified forest National Park by the end of the day! Truly a must see, if you are in the area. Too bad they close at 5 pm. The next day, we visited Canyon de chelly. Out-of-the-world, definitely!

Sedona was the next day's plan. It started raining for tha later half of the day. But we could see the downtown, Red rock loop, Red rock crossing state park, chapel of the holy cross, bell rock, airport loop road. We also checked out oack creek canyon & Slide roack state park on our way down to Sedona. The place is just magical! Just wished it did not rain so much. We'd love to go back & do some hikes there. Anyone visiting should stop by the wildflower bakery. Superb!

Way back to Flagstaff via I 17, we got into a major snowstorm. In just a matter of minutes, we were driving at 20 miles per hr. Southbound 17 came to a stand still. But they plowed the road soon enough. We were worried abt getting into Flagstaff. Some of the exits were burried in snow. To our surprise, Flagstaff received just flurries. We walked around the old historic downtown to experience the place.

After visiting Wupatki, Sunset Crater & Walnut Canyon, we started our drive back the next day. Came back home on wed 3 am. As most people suggested here, I would not recommend this trip to anyone, nor am I going to do it again. 2400 miles in < 5 days! Too tiring...But well worth it!
    Doing it all over again, I'd add another day to it!

Thanks for the immense help from here in making this trip.
    cool
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-25-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added link to the 2007 photos of London Bridge on RTA

Default Whew! What a pace!

Quote Originally Posted by cool View Post
    I am back from my 5 day trip to Arizona. An out-of-the-world experience to the Grand Canyon state. There is a lot more to AZ than just the Grand Canyon.
    Very, very true. Thanks for the whirlwind field report -- hard to believe you saw as much as you did. You must have had to sleep for two days after you returned from the holiday!

Mark

Default What a neat trip!!!!

It sounds like you had a blast. I can' t even imagine running into a snow storm. How scary yet...well... "cool".

I'm potentially heading in that general direction this summer. Now you've gotten me all excited.

Laura

Mark,
    If I had the time, I would've spent a lifetime there. Just loved those towns. But as a tourist, I think I covered pretty much everything. While travelling, I think all of us have everything, but time!!!!!

Laura,
    I am from the bay area too! Snowstorm is unheard of for me too! But trust me, its awesome. In just 10 minutes I 17 became Mystery Alaska. How many times do we come across a scenic interstate? :-)
    It did take us 2 hrs to get to Flagstaff, but we had all the time in the world on that day alone.

cool

Default Most of the time!

How many times do we come across a scenic interstate? :-)
    I would say that most of time would be my answer. Here is one of my favorite drives in the world and.... it is an Interstate highway...

Mark

Default ah!

Well! 70 & 80 are exceptions. I meant to say that & you got me :-)
    I do agree. 70 is one of the best, but more so, because it passes through beautiful states, right?

cool

Sounds like a great trip! :)

My long long wish of seeing the London Bridge @ Lake Havasu city came true(Thanks Mark! I got amazing pictures at dawn).
    I'd love to see them!

Not exactly at dawn -- but this was taken at about 9:30 am
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-25-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added a photo from our collection

Default Nope, I just like interstate highways

Well! 70 & 80 are exceptions.
    Nope, I would disagree with statement too. A couple more of my favorite roads are also Interstate highways (I-15 between LA and Las Vegas) and I like most I-70 east of the Colorado Rockies and I like I-5 in California.....and I-84 up to Portland and I-64 through Kentucky..

Mark

Default ...and...

Almost ALL of I-81; I-95 through the Maine woods; I-8 across the Jacumba Mountains; I-64/I-77, the West Virginia Turnpike; I-80 through western New Jersey and northern Pennsylvania; I-84 down the Snake River Valley in southern Idaho (the view of Thousand Springs alone is worth the drive); and the list goes on. The problem, I think, is that most people see mostly the sections that are most travelled, and those are the urban and inter-urban monster slabs. But the 'true' Interstate sections traverse gorgeous country and are as scenic as any roads out there.

AZBuck

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default That I-70, Wow

On our way back from our end-to-end Route 66 trip, we went to Las Vegas and then into Utah. That one stretch of I-15 through Arizona was just amazing.

However, I-70, from where it joins I-15, to Colorado...well, you're just not going to get any better scenery...and I'm a 66er and old roader!!!!

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway, and, it is ok to drive those interstates...sometimes. --RoadDog