1. Default East Coast to West Coast - Summer 2008

Hello All.

I'm planning a short, easy drive across the US next summer. I have a mate who lives somewhere on the East coast so I thought it would be better to start there and spend 3 weeks getting to know our distant cousins across the pond. I'm one of those people that thrives on random acts of spontaneity and I'd like my trip to reflect that, though obviously there needs to be some kind of structure to the trip.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has done the same thing recently, how it went, which routes or sights you recommend and what they spent for the entire trip? How easy is it to just arrive at a town and get a room for the night? As much info as possible would be welcome.

Cheers,

Q-Duck.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Quckathedyslexicduck View Post
    Hello All.

I'm planning a short, easy drive across the US next summer. I have a mate who lives somewhere on the East coast....
    which routes or sights you recommend and what they spent for the entire trip?
    Knowing more about where you will be starting from and planning to end up will help in this regard. The Eastern seaboard is a rather large place (roughly more than 1800 miles long) - with many interesting attractions in its own right. Route and sight suggestions really depend on what you are interested in. Do you lean towards mostly outdoorsy, natural wonders, or are you more interested in seeing the hustle and bustle of the city? Maybe mix the two up, or spend a week on the beach?

How easy is it to just arrive at a town and get a room for the night?.
    That really depends on the town/city and what else is going on during that time of year. For instance, Carlisle, PA is a relatively sleepy town most of the year, however, if you try to get a room anywhere near there when the automotive swap meet is going on, then you will have a very difficult time. For most places, this is the exception rather than the rule, and it usually isn't that hard just to drive to some place and get a room for the night.

3. Default

Hi, thanks for gettin back to me. I was a bit vague with the East Coast thing, but I'm pretty sure he lives in Massachusetts.

I will probably start in NY and want to end up in Seattle. There are a few places that I want to visit on the way (Lynchburg, New Orleans, Dallas, Las Vegas and then on to LA and up the west coast to Seattle) so there is some kind of plan to it. I've had a look and Route 66 (or at least what is left of it) seems to take me in that direction. There are probably loads of places that I will want to go to while making the journey, but thats something that I can do once I'm actually doing it.

I've also seen a route that is a little bit more direct and takes you through the north but there doesn't seem to be much up that way!! If I am wrong, please tell me!

Good news on the room thing though, thanks.

Default Wrong, Really Really Wrong!

While there is nothing wrong with taking a southern route across the US -although it will add a lot of miles to your trip - but there is also plenty to do in the Northern US.

You could easily spend 3 weeks exploring the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks areas alone. A route basically following I-90 would also take you near Niagra Falls, as well as Chicago and possibly Toronto, two of my favorite cities in north america.

There's also a more central route possible, going through St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, the Colorado Rockies and the great parks of Utah.

Those are just the major things, you'll find even more things if you start digging for the hidden gems.

With 3 weeks you have the option to do any basic route you like, although a Southern route will add nearly twice the miles as a more direct path, which means you'd have to spend more time getting from place to place and less time exploring. Theres nothing wrong with any of the options, you just have to decide what things are most important to you.

5. Default Duly noted.

I will certainly look into exploring the north a bit more on the back of what you wrote...

One final question is, should I look into buying a vehicle through my friend instead of renting? I have heard it can be quite costly with all the insurance I'd need visiting multiple states...

Default Cost trade-offs

I'd say you'll probably be better off renting. By the time you factor in insurance, taxes, and the time and money loss when you try to resell the car, it generally takes a good two months before you break even on a car purchase. It might be worth looking into, but I'd say with only a 3 week trip, you'll probably find renting cheaper and far easier than trying to buy.