1. Default Circle America Road Trip

Cross country circle - anyone done this?

I'm returning to the USA after spending almost 5 years living abroad. I'm returning with my wife, who is from Asia.

My wife and I haven't seen alot of the USA. So we're thinking of doing a circle around the states. Good experience before we settle down.

Start in Los Angles, drive accross the south of America, up the east coast, and then back west in the upper portion. Then back down the california coast to home.

Crazy to do at once? Anyone done it? I figure it would take around 2 months and cost $5000.

What do you think? Figure we would start in mid-March. Is this too much to do in one sitting? I was thinking we could take a week or so break at the halfway point and fly back to LA for a break. Then fly back and start again. I've got some frequent flier miles to cover the cost of those tickets, so those aren't part of the budget.

Default Budget seems a little low

Quote Originally Posted by shwaman View Post
    Cross country circle - anyone done this?
    I have done parts of this a dozen times or so. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like a great re-entry plan to America.
    Start in Los Angles, drive across the south of America, up the east coast, and then back west in the upper portion. Then back down the california coast to home.
    It really depends how long you want to take to drive this far. You could complete a rough circuit in about 17 days and so allowing two months would provide a reasonable span to see plenty of things
    Crazy to do at once? Anyone done it? I figure it would take around 2 months and cost $5000.
    Let's see that would only be an average expense of $83.00 per day and I don't really see how you can do it that cheaply. Even if you camp several days, and eat out of cooler and drive an inexpensive rental car I don't think you can average less than $100 per day. If you live large and stay at nice places, eat at good restaurants and spend money on some attractions as you go (at least some of the time) I think you need to budget closer to $8,000.

Here is a link to a nice route if you really want to see much of the country. (Click on "Our Journey" to see the map in full-scale) If you were really to spend time in each state and see what there is to see on this circuit, it could easily take a year or two...

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default Thanks!

Thanks Mark, this is great stuff. Appreciate the help. Yea, perhaps $5000 was wishful thinking. More like $8000...

Debating whether or not to split this up or try to tackle the drive in one go.

We plan on starting careers, family, etc... So this could be our only real chance...

Default I would do the full monty (so to speak)

Quote Originally Posted by shwaman View Post
    Debating whether or not to split this up or try to tackle the drive in one go.
    Extended roadtrip travel leads to a different mind-set and I would recommend planning on pursuing the adventure for as long as it remains fun. If that point is reached in six weeks or eight weeks (or even sooner) I would stay out there. There is a pattern that develops when on the road for more than a couple of days and it can be tough to transition into the mindset where you are only trying to do one thing at a time. It can be tough to re-gain that perspective once you stop it and it might be easier to keep on going. Now, to get started in that mind-bending excercise -- take this quiz with your wife and make sure you are looking forward to the same trip. Likewise, take a look at these profiles.
    We plan on starting careers, family, etc... So this could be our only real chance..
    Any day spent on the road trumps one at home. You will always have the choice of doing a Two-hour roadtrip or, my favorite, the 20-hour trip.

Mark

I did it (Most of the way) on a motorcycle in 2005. I took 32 days, but could have done it in 3 weeks with no problem. I highly recommend that you take the trip no matter wheather you ride 4 wheels or two. Take your time and enjoy it.